Hi from Rockton, IL

AMeriKanne

Hatching
Sep 29, 2015
Hi everyone! Just getting started. Building a coop this weekend. I was asked to help rescue some hens that can't stay where they are. My hubby and I were planning on starting next Spring, but it looks like we are starting about 5 months earlier. We will know for sure tomorrow, if she needs us to take them. I hear she might have someone closer, in miles, to her than us.

I'm finding it difficult to find any free chicken coop plans. I know what I want, so I've got my graphic designer brother working on the plan. We have so much barn wood, insulation, and chicken wire already that I have no doubt we can build a great home for our hens.

My biggest concern will be keeping them safe from our dog and cats. I want to free range them, eventually. For now, I'll put them in the pet play yard during the day. If we start with chicks next March, I feel confident they will adjust and learn, but with these 6-7 month old hens, I'm somewhat hesitant.

Looking forward to all the tips/advice from this group.

Welcome!
frow.gif

So many plans on google..maybe you will see something you like and ask your brother to add into the plans.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coo...ChMIpLSKw_ifyAIVDgmSCh1JqgDj&biw=1011&bih=655

Hello all!
Bumping an old thread, I know... I’m relocating to Rockton, IL, from Kentucky and was hoping the OP was still on here. I’d like to hear how her chickens do in the winter and what she ended up with for a coop.

Looks like you've been a member for a while but here's a Welcome to BYC for you! :D

You can ask on the IL state thread how chickens handle the winter and tips for coop building:
Illinois

Good luck with your move!

Back
Top Bottom