Hi from upstate New York!

rolohman

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Upstate New York
My Coop
My Coop
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
New, but have an avid chicken-owning neighbor and have helped out when they travel for the past few years. Parent in California also has 7 chickens, so I've at least seen some different setups.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

0 - building the house/run as we speak
(3) What breeds do you have?

Would like a mix, 4-6 birds. Also pigeons, in a separate housing area we are building.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Pets and eggs
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Weaving, woodworking (built my loom) and gardening
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share

2 kids, who are driving the interest in birds (we have low expectations about them driving the cleaning)
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Google - but my first question is:

We ALWAYS go to the New York State fair in Syracuse, and it is coming up. Our coop+run will be done by then, and I know that in the past I've seen birds for sale there. Does anyone know how that works? I.e., do you have to return at the end of the fair to pick them up, or can you take them home with you? We are particularly interested in getting pigeons there, since it's hard to find them where we are. But two round trips of 3 hours is a lot of driving.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

How far UPstate? I haven't gone to the fair since 2010. I saw Jeff Dunham there. I can't answer your question about when you pick up birds purchased at the fair but it makes sense that it would be at the conclusion of the competition.

Back
Top Bottom