Hi! Help! New flock of baby chics; first time owner, sick little bantam

oh no absolutely not too nosy! I rechecked thermo it’s about 92 degrees notb82 I typed that wrong
and everybody else is fine! But I have been hand feeding her Rx drench and she Seems to be getting better and she is now nibbling her food!I am just worried should I feed her on the hour?
injust Got back from being gone two hours she’s still weak but looks better
Are you giving her the VetRx?
You have Poultry Nutri-Drench? I would give that instead. 1-2 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day.
See that she's drinking too. Make her a small amount of wet chick starter (on the soupy side) and see if she will eat after she's hydrated.

Behavior is a good tell. Sometimes you can't go by temperature.
Looking at your photo the chicks are piling on the very edge of the heat, so underneath it is too hot. Tanks like that will reflect heat. One is further away from the group with it's wings spread out - usually that position says "too warm".
Chicks can regulate body heat quite as well as adults, they haven't feathered in yet.

I would raise the heat lamp - they will raise cain (do a lot of peeping) if they are too cold.
For your little one, do the best you can - I would get some electrolytes into her. Hydration first, then see if she will eat a bit of wet feed for you. Watch that she's not overheating in the separation box. Go by her behavior as well - if she's trying to avoid heat, she's too warm.

View attachment 2090281
Thank you so much I have raised the light, and she is actually moving around. i included a pic of the products I purchased, I’m. It very familiar with them but that drench and Rx seem to have worked :)

oh no absolutely not too nosy! I rechecked thermo it’s about 92 degrees notb82 I typed that wrong
and everybody else is fine! But I have been hand feeding her Rx drench and she Seems to be getting better and she is now nibbling her food!I am just worried should I feed her on the hour?
injust Got back from being gone two hours she’s still weak but looks better
I think for week olds, 86-88 degrees is good.

Are you giving her the VetRx?
You have Poultry Nutri-Drench? I would give that instead. 1-2 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench twice a day.
See that she's drinking too. Make her a small amount of wet chick starter (on the soupy side) and see if she will eat after she's hydrated.
yes The nutri drench really seemed to help
im so happy she’s still weak but her eyes aren’t closed and she’s making cute noises and trying to eat, but I’m. It sure how to make wet food?
I think for week olds, 86-88 degrees is good.
thank you! Yea I raised the light a bit
it’s around 83-88 I’ve got her still in isolation. She made it thru the night
iam goi g to go handle her just a little offer her some drench via stopper she’s been drinking it when I give it to her that way I still have not seen her drink out of her dish
i. Hoping she makes it!
thank you very much for responding,
im knew at this we had them when I was a child but I don’t remember all the chic care!

She is better! Still in Quarantine; should I medicate the entire flock I am wondering?

Attachments

• DAEFE74E-08D9-4400-AFA1-9497E3E89E9D.jpeg
    DAEFE74E-08D9-4400-AFA1-9497E3E89E9D.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 3
yes The nutri drench really seemed to help
im so happy she’s still weak but her eyes aren’t closed and she’s making cute noises and trying to eat, but I’m. It sure how to make wet food?

thank you! Yea I raised the light a bit
it’s around 83-88 I’ve got her still in isolation. She made it thru the night
iam goi g to go handle her just a little offer her some drench via stopper she’s been drinking it when I give it to her that way I still have not seen her drink out of her dish
i. Hoping she makes it!
thank you very much for responding,
im knew at this we had them when I was a child but I don’t remember all the chic care!
She is better! Still in Quarantine; should I medicate the entire flock I am wondering?
To make wet feed - I just put a small amount of chick starter in a bowl, add a little warm water, let it soak for about 15 minutes or so - add more water if needed to make it about the consistency of oatmeal or a little looser. I offer it on a lid like a yogurt tub lid. Yep, they usually stand in the feed - for her, she's so tiny, I would start by giving her about 1 tablespoon to work on. You can save what you make - just cover it with some plastic wrap, add more water if needed when you give out more.

As for giving the others "medication" - what medication are you asking about?
I do give chicks vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench for a few days - you can do that. Give each chick 1-2 drops a day, it won't hurt them.

To make wet feed - I just put a small amount of chick starter in a bowl, add a little warm water, let it soak for about 15 minutes or so - add more water if needed to make it about the consistency of oatmeal or a little looser. I offer it on a lid like a yogurt tub lid. Yep, they usually stand in the feed - for her, she's so tiny, I would start by giving her about 1 tablespoon to work on. You can save what you make - just cover it with some plastic wrap, add more water if needed when you give out more.

As for giving the others "medication" - what medication are you asking about?
I do give chicks vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench for a few days - you can do that. Give each chick 1-2 drops a day, it won't hurt them.
Thank you so much! I made her the warm food she ate it, then a bit of scrambled egg, and a strawberry.
i have been acclimating her with the others
she really seems to want to be with them but she’s still weak, I picked her up put her back in quarantine at bedtime, she was getting payed on by a coopmate. I didn’t want her smothered.
I worried lol
iim wonder I g if I should separate the 3 bantams until they are older?
time fir more research lol
thank you all so much for your help!

Thank you so much! I made her the warm food she ate it, then a bit of scrambled egg, and a strawberry.
i have been acclimating her with the others
she really seems to want to be with them but she’s still weak, I picked her up put her back in quarantine at bedtime, she was getting payed on by a coopmate. I didn’t want her smothered.
I worried lol
iim wonder I g if I should separate the 3 bantams until they are older?
time fir more research lol
thank you all so much for your help!
Glad to hear she ate.
Are the other bantams doing o.k. with the others? Eating/drinking?
You could separate them, but if they are doing fine, then I would hesitate to do that - flock dynamics and all. Try giving your weak baby monitored time with the others so they stay familiar with her.

Glad to hear she ate.
Are the other bantams doing o.k. with the others? Eating/drinking?
You could separate them, but if they are doing fine, then I would hesitate to do that - flock dynamics and all. Try giving your weak baby monitored time with the others so they stay familiar with her.
she Took a turn for worse, she’s is gasping very weak, she ate yesterday I really thought she was going to be ok. Doesnt look good today.
im very sad

and yes, I’m going to separate the bantams, I will have to research about when and how to reintegrate them
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom