Sick Chikin

Woodys Chickins

Hatching
Oct 19, 2023
Wondering if you can give me any insights...

I believe one of my chickens is sick. I have 5 girl chickens, all about 24wks; none have laid eggs yet.
Three I bought from Tractor supply (Delaware, 2 RI Reds) Two were gifted to me from my brotherinlaw's ranch (1 Ameracauna and 1 mix; ...likely a mix of Ameracauna and "something" else.) The "mix" breed is sick. She looks like a mix between a chicken and a hawk.

Typically she eats like a hawg; since yesterday, she will hardly free range (2 acres); won't take scratch grain treat. She usually "supervises" over the other four birds.. now, doesn't seem to care. This morning one of my other birds (not a pecker), pecked her twice (lightly). Lastly, she actually allowed me to pick her up-- she never let's me do that.

Symptoms Aprx 24wks old...no eggs yet (I blame the hot Texas summer, but cooler now so they could start laying). Lethargic Yellow/chalky poop (see photo)
TREATMENT I have just finished a 5day mild preventative treatment for worms..added 2-3 drops of fenbendazole (Smart-Guard) to their drinking water. The other girls are perfectly fine/normal. CURRENTLY I have her isolated in a cage in my garage (straw bedding); no hazardous chems in the garage. She has access to a gallon of electrolyte and normal feed. I mixed a dollop of plain yogurt along with a scrambled egg. Doesn't seem interested.
Crop is "normal"... not hard, crunchy, or swollen.
As far as I can tell, no visible mites/lice.
I'd say her head parts are NOT really much pale...perhaps a little, but lately she's gone back and forth from a definite red to "normal red" color. Again, no so much pale. Thoughts?

here's photos. Poop is recent; profiles are a week ago.

Attachments

• 20231001_144349.jpg
    20231001_144349.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231001_144350.jpg
    20231001_144350.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231017_172434.jpg
    20231017_172434.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231018_174303.jpg
    20231018_174303.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 5
Do you mean SafeGuard liquid goat wormer? The dosage of that should be 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally to each chicken, because it settles out in water. That is 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken. A new chicken on new soil might have symptoms of coccidiosis with liquid poops. Corid (amprollium) for cattle 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days may treat that. It is safe for all chickens. If it is not coccidiosis, then it could be a reproductive disorder. Is her crop filling up with food during the day, and then emptying by early morning?

1. SafeGuard liquid for goat -- yes. I filled a 1 gallon container and added 3cc to the gallon. All the other birds are doing great.
2. Not a new bird (I've had 3 since birth, 2 since est 6wks old). All were born roughly same timeframe within a week.
3. Not new soil; although I did rake out old straw from the run recently (AFTER the SafeGuard treatment). I lightly sprinkled the bare ground with DE (very light dusting). Again, the other 4 are doing great.
4. NOTE: About 2 wks ago, this one (the sick one) was pecking grass when I noticed a stream of liquid (snot?) drain from her mouth/nostril area. I checked for sore crop; isolated 24hrs, checked the crop area--nothing unusual feeling. NOTE: As I mentioned, she eats like a hog and is always first in line if I shake the treats container.
5. They are all est 24wks now and no eggs. I'm blaming the all the 100-degree + days of south Texas this summer. Nice it is only in the low 90s now.
6. They all have access to clean drinking water daily. Run is oversized for 5 chickens (est 12ft x 12ft sq. footage. Coop is 4x4ft with good ventillation. Sandy floor (I use a kittylitter scoop everyother day...too easy).
7. CORID -- I'll give that a try if she makes it over the course of the next 48hrs...not drinking very much...I've used a syringe to give her droplets.. that's my biggest concern.
8. Later this a.m. I gave her her favororite treat: corn on the cob. (only 1/2 cob). She pecked all the kernals off. Afterwards, she seemed to gain some energy.
9. POOP: her overnight poop was all yellow/chalky. Once this morning she had vibrant-green color, and once today, generally brownish (the green one was the only somewhat "solid")
10. I'm 65yrs old, retired, and 1st-time chicken'er.

Gratz!!!

Back
Top Bottom