Hi, I'm Charp

Charp

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 18, 2018
Upper Lower Northern Michigan
I have had chickens for about 3 years now since I received chicks for Mother's Day 3 years ago. It has become a regular Mother's Day event since I seem to lose my flock before the next Mother's Day each year. One year to fox, one year to smoke & now this year to coyotes. I have a Bantam Roster since end of last summer who survived the coyotes. I also have my Hawkeye, an Easter Egger who has survived it all besides being plucked right down her back by (we think) a racoon.

I have two 7 year old tabby cats who are sisters, Deiva & Elvira. They are quite entertaining & love to watch each new flock of chicks.

Just got my new flock of chicks Saturday. 2 Road Island Reds, 2 Isa Browns & 2 Black Sexlinks.

I have kept my Rooster (Flash) & my Easter Egger (Hawkeye) in the kennel since I lost 5 of my hens to the cyotes. But my Hawkeye seems depressed & I'm about ready to let her out again so she can be happy. Hawkey raised my last flock which brought her out of depression last year when I lost 4 hens to smoke inhalation (hens knocked heat lamp down & bedding smoldered, almost catching on fire). Hawkey would not leave tje chicks. I am fixing to introduce her to the new chicks in a few days.

WELL WELCOME TO BYC:welcome
Thank you. Maybe you can help this old bird learn how to ask a question or start a forum. I think I may have a sick chick. One of my Road Island Red chicks has clear like saliva coming out of her mouth each time I pick her up. It's clear, a little bubbly & stringy. Can anyone tell me what this means? Last time I saw this it was coming from one of my hens that died on my lap from smoke inhalation.

Thank you. Maybe you can help this old bird learn how to ask a question or start a forum. I think I may have a sick chick. One of my Road Island Red chicks has clear like saliva coming out of her mouth each time I pick her up. It's clear, a little bubbly & stringy. Can anyone tell me what this means? Last time I saw this it was coming from one of my hens that died on my lap from smoke inhalation.
do she also shows other sign of illness
like not eating well , sitting in the same position for hours, or she keeps her mouth open

Go to the emergencies diseases injuries and cures section of the forum and click the blue button at the top labed "created thread" write your thread and post it.

do she also shows other sign of illness
like not eating well , sitting in the same position for hours, or she keeps her mouth open
Not really. She does seem to drink a lot of water. She is also the only one I had to soak her bottom as she had dried poop blocking her. She did poop this morning while I was checking her & it looked normal. But she had the saliva coming out whenever I picked her up.

Back
Top Bottom