Hi I'm Kiki and I'm New Here :)

boomercide, yes you are correct, i have been watching video, and reading up, i got a 50lb bag of DE for free already, and i purchased a duster for the coop. I know what breeds i am going to get I am now deciding of bedding inside the coop, i also saw a video on poop tea for the garden have you heard of that any opinions, apparently you are supposed to put chicken poop in water and you can you use it in the garden in a month i believe..... I also have to put up screening behind the hardware cloth i don't want wasp or my mason bees or leaf cutters to get in harms way the wasp i don't want building houses in there. as you can tell super excited LOL, and still prepping it is so cold now that working on the coop is on pause but here is what i got done before it became arctic...LOL

I myself use wood shavings I think they are the best for me they are cheap and easy too clean I don't sift them I just rake them up and change them out I even use them in my nesting boxes some people say it's not good too use in the nesting boxes becouse it sticks too the eggs well yes it dose but it falls right off its not glued on by any means… I my self don't use DE I let mine free roam most of the time so they get plenty of spots for dust baths on the property and there run is like 29' by 31' and they have killed the grass so even when in there run they have dug dusting holes for themselves but everyone has there own methods and everyone's layout is different me myself i go for as simple as possible and least costly so too cut out the cost of DE I'm all for it

big_smile.png
Thank you, I plan to use DE in the coop after I clean it just as a precaution for mites. I've seen so many freaky mites videos
hide.gif
scary stuff. LOL I think i am going with pine shavings as well looks like the best out of the options in the house. I told my husband maybe when we have more money to take down some trees we can more the fence back and add on to the run. They rob you to take down trees in Long Island. 29' by 31' is huge do you have a picture? I'd love to see.

That's my girls home tho they have plenty of room too run when I have them in the run although I let them free roam more than they are locked up

Yea i like too think I spoil them with room hahahah it's an old coop be hear like a 100 years that thing has I bet I just fixed it up cut some holes for a run and wala the little old lady I care give for aka adopted grandma been hear 89 years and the coop has been hear the hole time…I work for the county in solid waist so I get lumber that people throw out for free did not cost me much too get it going

Back
Top Bottom