hi I'm new here

My name is Jade I'm 37 years old I'm new to laying duck eggs. I've done my first batch I had a success rate of 50% on Rouens. I do have some crested eggs I'm pretty sure it's only the mom that's crescent. So my question is if it's only one crescent parent can the gene double that way? Or do I need a male and a female crescent to make the gene double?
I've read that the crested gene is dominant (so a duck that does not show a crest, does not have the crest gene.)

So it would follow the usual pattern for any dominant gene: if the mother has a crest (one crest gene and one not-crest gene), and the father has no crest, then half of the ducklings will have crests (inherit crest from the mother and not-crest from the father), and the other half of the ducklings will not have crests (inherit not-crest from both parents.)

Ducklings with two crests genes die before they would hatch, so you do not want to produce ducklings that have two crest genes. A duckling would only have two crested genes if both parents had crests. So having one crested parent and one non-crested parent should give crested ducklings and non-crested ducklings in about equal numbers, and no ducklings that have two crest genes and die. (There are many reasons that ducklings can die without hatching, but this is one that you can avoid.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom