High Altitude Heritage Turkey Hatch-A-Long

Hayduke27

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Gunnison, CO
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to hatch shipped eggs at about 8,500'. I already know the odds are against me, but I'm giving it a try, and I thought I'd share the challenge here with all of you for some moral support as well as some helpful information and tips (I hope!).

Here is the back story: I acquired a Bourbon Red tom from a local guy who was getting rid of his flock. He had only this one turkey, and he wanted it to go to a home that wasn't just going to slaughter him. I took him in, and have since grown incredibly fond of him. He gets along with my flock of hens (had to get rid of the rooster due to noise issues), but I know he wants some turkey companionship. He likes to have the chickens for company, but I think he tires of them. Whenever I let them out of the run to free range the turkey just follows me around, displaying and spitting and drumming. He wants so desperately to impress somebody, and so I want to get him a hen or two.

I live in a very small town in the mountains of Colorado, and my options are very limited in finding poults even semi-locally. I have had the feelers out for a while now, but have come up with nothing. I could get turkeys shipped to me, but I only want a couple/few hens. I don't have the room to raise a bunch of them, and it's hard to meet the minimum order. I found one hatchery (maybe Cackle?) that does small orders, and I could get some from them in July, but I was hoping to get more of a jump on things.

So here I am. I have hatched eggs in the past, but with very low hatch rates. I have learned a lot through the years, and this will be my fifth hatch. I've hatched chickens and quail in the incubator, but his is my first go at turkeys. I have made a lot of upgrades and changes, and I'm hoping if everything comes together I can accomplish my goal of getting a couple of hens for my lonely tom.

The new incubator is stabilizing. I have 3 thermometers and 2 hygrometers monitoring things. I ordered 2 batches of eggs. The first is 6 eggs from Florida. They arrived today. The packaging was really awesome, the package was labeled very clearly, I really couldn't have asked for better. All 6 eggs showed up in good shape. I candled them when they arrived, but due to the bright room I couldn't see much. I currently have them settling down in the incubation room, and will look at them again before they go in the incubator to see if I can glean any intelligence as to the state of the air sacks and anything else internal. I plan on getting them in the incubator tonight.

My new incubator is a Manna Pro Harris Farms Nurture Right Incubator. In the past I've always used a Styrofoam incubator. I've done it both without air circulation and with, and as I mentioned, I've never done great for hatch rates. I'm hoping the increased automation on the new incubator may help out. I've got it in a room that gets very little sunlight, and I have a space heater going to stabilize the room temperature in the mid-70's (most of my house is usually in the low 60's). I'm planning on trying to keep the temperature about 100* and the humidity about 40%. I like the idea of a dry hatch, but I am unsure about that at this altitude. Especially because these eggs came from Florida. I know, I know.... I already said I knew the odds were against me!

PXL_20220402_232416466.jpg
PXL_20220402_232424768.jpg PXL_20220402_232442683.jpg

I am expecting another shipment of 4 eggs from Oregon within the next week or so. The farm I ordered them from seems to take great care in their selection and shipment of eggs, but I think they sometimes take a little longer time getting the shipments fulfilled. Ideally I would have liked to set all of these eggs together, but the next batch hasn't even been shipped yet and I don't want the eggs I have to age any longer than necessary. I have my old incubator on standby for use as a lock-down place or whatever else I can figure out. My plan is still coming together.

The new incubator is stabilizing nicely. I don't yet know if the egg turner will work with turkey eggs, but I plan on figuring that out. I hope it will, but otherwise I am prepared to commit to hand-turning them.

Fingers are crossed. 28 days is so long. Here we go...

I've already gotten some good advice. The more I read, the more obvious it is that I need to closely monitor either the air cells or the weight. I have access to a good scale, so I went ahead and weighed all of the eggs. This will be my first time tracking the eggs by weight, but it seems like the best way to stay on track given my unique environment.

I'm going to look for roughly 14% weight loss over the incubation process. I'll weigh and candle the eggs as I go and I'm keeping notes. Compared to past hatches, I'm already a step up in terms of keeping track of both the eggs and the incubator conditions. I'm cautiously optimistic.

t1.jpg t2.jpg

1 day down, 27 to go. So far, so good. The incubator has stabilized nicely. I'm glad I have multiple thermometers in there because the incubator is set at 102* in order to keep things evenly 100* according to the other thermometers. I'm running right about 40% humidity. The egg turner is working just fine for the turkey eggs, so I won't have to open the incubator and hand turn them.

I made a chart today of egg weights, from initial to what they should be with a 14% weight loss by the end. I think I'm good to go with this batch for now, I'm going to candle and weigh them on Day 3 and will provide an update. 🤞🤞

Things continue to go smoothly. I'm getting used to how often I need to add water to the incubator, but overall things have been very stable with very little fluctuation in incubator conditions. The egg turner is still working fine. After doing more reading and refreshing of my incubation knowledge, I have decided that there is no need for me to weigh or candle today. I will wait for day 7 before I check on them. I think that's also good because of how steadily the incubator is running. I feel like conditions are good for them to just grow without me messing around with them.

chick1.jpg

Potential bad news... I ordered a pack of 4 cheap little thermometer/hygrometers. I got them on Amazon, they were 4 for about $10 and getting good reviews for accuracy. They showed up, I checked them for room temperature and all were really close in readings and seemed pretty good to me. After letting them settle and checking them for a couple hours to be sure I was satisfied, I sanitized them and put them in the incubator. I let them sit for about 45 minutes, and when I checked them the temperature and humidity readings were all very close to in line with the incubator setting. This would be great except my other 2 thermometers were both reading lower than the incubator setting. The two thermometers I have been using were both made by the same company (Taylor). One has a remote sensor, the other has a cable connected sensor I fed through the vent.

The incubator has been set at 102* since the start, as both of my thermometers were showing this as a steady 99.5-100* on their sensors. When I put these new thermometers in, they were all reading about 101.5. I have since turned the temperature down and am monitoring things. I fear I may have cooked the first batch due to crap thermometers. Tomorrow is candling day, so I will see if there are signs of life. If not, I may be starting over from square one...

There's hope!!

I am leaving town this weekend and leaving my wife in charge of keeping an eye on the incubator. Since I am getting myself packed and ready to go, I candled this morning to get the egg check-up out of the way. There are 2-3 eggs with good veining! Of the remainder, one is a maybe, I think I see minor veining. The final two are looking pretty clear, one with the air sack in the wrong place. I'll give them all through the weekend, then I'll throw away any duds before I stick the next shipment of eggs in there.

The new thermometers continue to read much more in-line with the incubator settings. They are still between a half a degree to one degree lower than the incubator heat setting, but not the 2 degrees that the original thermometers were showing. I have re-stabilized the incubator and will let them continue to go over the weekend. I'll give an update when I return.

There have been many developments. I weighed and candled the eggs on Day 10, and was met with rough results. The eggs had lost far more weight than expected, and they had already lost significantly more weight than they should have by the end of the whole process. The candling revealed a couple of eggs with very slight development potential, but I think I failed on this batch. Between my very dry climate and high altitude, I am going to need more humidity. I left the eggs in the incubator and upped the humidity from around 43% up to about 65%. I am going to weigh the eggs again and make sure this stabilized that weight loss somewhat, but mainly just as a way to prepare for the next batch.

Speaking of which, my next batch of eggs arrived today. They are currently settling down in the incubation room, and will be put into the incubator tomorrow morning. I ended up getting 7 more with this batch, so I will candle the previous batch, toss some or all of them, and essentially restart this process. I am learning a lot as I go, and I still have hopes of getting some poults out of this!

The new batch is in! I let them all settle for about 24 hours, then weighed them before setting them in the incubator.

As I put the new ones in I removed the old ones. I candled them all and weighed them. With the new humidity level several of the old eggs had actually gained a slight amount of weight, but this didn't surprise me due to how much weight they had lost with the last humidity setting. I was looking for last day target weights at around 62g, and they were down to about 50 already. After a couple days at 65% humidity they had gained roughly 2g each, but still well under what the target weight should have been. Of the 5 old ones that were still in the incubator, candling revealed only one that may have any life left, but it is probably just the old dead embryo I think. I put that egg back in and will check it again in a couple days before I toss it.

I will be keeping a close eye on humidity and weight this go-round. Having never weighed eggs before during a hatch, it was really interesting to see the extreme weight loss due to this climate. I think that has a whole lot to do with my past hatching failures, I just never knew it. This past attempt was incredibly educational, and I have higher hopes for the eggs I just set. Plus I ordered up another batch, due to arrive next week. I'm not giving up!!!

My final batch of turkey eggs is in the mail due to arrive this week. I may have gone overboard, but I was feeling pessimistic in my predicted hatch rates. I'm going to have a lot of eggs incubating.

As most of the eggs went into the incubator on Friday, there isn't much to report with them. Just baking away. However, there is a little news...

I checked the one last egg from the original batch, totally planning on throwing it out, and it is developing! No doubt about it, there is life in there. I can't believe it after all that poor batch went through. It gives me hope for the next batch, as they won't have the same incubator trauma (I hope). If this egg hatches it's going to be one tough little turkey!

Back
Top Bottom