KittyIsQuackers

Quacking
Apr 4, 2018
East TN
Hello! I reenact colonial America (1775). I’d like to get some Runners so I can bring one with me when I go all dressed up.
I can't find any mention of them before 1830, which was when they were imported to the UK, or so I’ve heard. I’ve also heard that they’re actually native to Asia, and were only named “Indian Runner” because the ship that brought them traded with the Indians, but I don’t know how old the breed is. Could anyone tell me when they were actually bred? Or if there are any wild birds that one could’ve easily caught a few, then bred something like the Runner in only a few generations?
I want to hatch Black Runners in a few months, which is a little before the biggest event of the year, the Raid, where a few hundred people dress like natives or Colonials, a few people bring their pets, there's a few battles, and an entire field of people selling their wares. I, too, am going to sell some decorative pins that I made, and some stocking ties. My Muscovy drake doesn’t flinch when the cannons or guns go off (they’re blanks), so I know I can train at least one of the ducks to be completely at home whenever I’m up there.
I need documentation for when they were bred, because we’re rather strict about what appropriate for that time and what isn’t. If there isn’t documentation, then I can’t bring any Runners to the fort, ever, unless I am in modern clothes.

Last edited:
In "storeys guide to raising ducks" The author mentions hierogliphs in a javan temple that date 2000 years old. Also that introdiction to uk around 1850 by a malasian ship captain.
Thank you! I completely forgot about that book! A library near me has it, so I’ll see if I can’t find out a little more next time I’m there.

Hello! I reenact colonial America (1775). I’d like to get some Runners so I can bring one with me when I go all dressed up.

My Muscovy drake doesn’t flinch when the cannons or guns go off (they’re blanks), so I know I can train at least one of the ducks to be completely at home whenever I’m up there.
I need documentation for when they were bred, because we’re rather strict about what appropriate for that time and what isn’t. If there isn’t documentation, then I can’t bring any Runners to the fort, ever, unless I am in modern clothes.
I would not be too sure that you can train Indian Runners to be as calm as one of the big breeds (pekin) or a Muscovy! Runners are skiddish by nature, it was bred into them for generations so that they are able to survive out in the rice-fields.

Back
Top Bottom