Hives on chick

LiizardWiitch

Chirping
Aug 15, 2022
Haven't seen something like this before. I found a chick acting lethargic today and when I picked it up I noticed first that it's legs seemed swollen. Upon further inspection she has all these red bumps over her body. She definitely seemed distressed. None are leaking fluids. All are red in color snd very round and raised. None of the other 20 chicks she's with has these bumps. Any ideas? I've sprayed her down with banixx for the time being because I'm not really sure what to do.

Screenshot_20230828-114742_Snapchat.jpg

I think I'm going to see if my local vets would be willing to necropsy it at all first, but I will try to be able to send it off.
I know this is distressing and overwhelming, but I'll give you my 2¢. Your state lab will give you better results.
Not to bash vets, but most do not see or treat poultry very often (if at all), your state lab has the facilities to do testing and a pathologist that will examine the bird and write up their findings.

Refrigerate the body and give your lab a call in the morning, actually speak with them, offer to email them photos and see if they can help you with fees, shipping, etc.

Some labs are just out there expensive so it's completely understandable if you can't use your lab. If it's not "doable" then contact your vet and see what they can do for you.

The image attached is slightly graphic but she is alive in it. I rinsed her off incase there is something on her skin she's reacting too. I really have no idea what would cause this in 1 chick out of so many. Seem like the hives have gotten slightly worse

Attachments

• 20230828_152515.jpg
    20230828_152515.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 67
Try the amoxy. I've changed my mind about the dose. It should be 20mg three times a day. Give it a try. there's nothing to lose.

Cut the pill up and stuff about 60mg into the chick's beak and close the beak so it can swallow. I've seen an antibiotic work very fast. If it improves, go to the above dosage.
She just passed away 😢

I did give her some amoxy about 30 mins prior but she was too far gone apparently

I have never seen anything like that, I'm so very sorry!:hugs

I'm glad your other chicks don't seem to be affected.
If you do want to *hopefully* find out what caused the lesions, then sending the body to your state lab may give you answers. You can look up your lab here:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I know you're probably quite far from the state lab, but this chick should be examined to find out what this is. It may be something genetic to just this chick, but if it's contagious, you would want to know what it is in case you need to treat other chickens in your flock.

Bag the chick and seal it well and refrigerate, do not freeze, until you decide what to do.

I have never seen this before. I would assume it's contagious and disinfect everything the chick came into contact with.

That's an option - email photos you took of the live chick and a few careful closeups of the body trying to get the lesions as clear and detailed as possible. Scientists are always eager to see and diagnose rare cases. Include the symptoms the chick was displaying as well. You might get a hint from the lab as to what this is.

We are eager as well to know what this could be. I've seen a few very rare and bizarre afflictions here in BYC, but this one is a new one. Heck, even @dawg53 didn't know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom