MiniBarnFarmMaine

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Looking for ideas 💡… This is Donald. We got him in September with four other ducklings from Tractor Supply. Since being young he’s had a left leg issue. He seems not able to hold his foot spread out to walk so he stumbles and trips often.
He’s getting larger so it’s more problematic. Going to be calling the local vet for an appointment but just looking for advice if others have had a similar issue. What did you do to help?

— have given brewers yeast since babies no improvement.

Attachments

• 0A21F6E6-E936-4004-98EA-352EDD90DE5C.jpeg
    0A21F6E6-E936-4004-98EA-352EDD90DE5C.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 14
Looking for ideas 💡… This is Donald. We got him in September with four other ducklings from Tractor Supply. Since being young he’s had a left leg issue. He seems not able to hold his foot spread out to walk so he stumbles and trips often.
He’s getting larger so it’s more problematic. Going to be calling the local vet for an appointment but just looking for advice if others have had a similar issue. What did you do to help?

— have given brewers yeast since babies no improvement.
When they're very little you can sometimes fix a curled foot by fashioning a little shoe.
I'm not sure how well it will work since he has grown quite a bit now. Probably sort of depends on whether it's a leg issue or foot issue. Pictures of the leg and foot would be helpful.
If you are able to take him to the vet I would go with their advice. 🙂

When they're very little you can sometimes fix a curled foot by fashioning a little shoe.
I'm not sure how well it will work since he has grown quite a bit now. Probably sort of depends on whether it's a leg issue or foot issue. Pictures of the leg and foot would be helpful.
If you are able to take him to the vet I would go with their advice. 🙂
As long as the vet has appointments open, everywhere has been booked out for weeks and this is the only “exotic” bird vets around. Hopefully when I call Monday they’ll have a day available

I was just looking up curled foot. Think it could be possible it’s that.
As long as it doesn't appear to be in any pain when you unfold that foot and flatten it I think you could try making a shoe. For my little duckling all I done was just cut a thin piece of cardboard and taped it flat for about 24 hours.
It may take longer for yours since it is an older bird.
And probably a stiffer piece of cardboard. I would remove it daily and inspect the foot, give it some swim time, and put a new one back on.

Back
Top Bottom