Holiday Recipes Please

Quote:
BearSwampChick, I do like mushroom soup. I have a question, the Hungarian paprika, is it different than just paprika? And where does one find Hungarian paprika?

I hope you try it, the soup really is delicious. We had it in a restaurant in Camden, Maine. Then I just happened to find the recipe in the magazine. I tried it and it tasted just like what I remembered. The Hungarian paprika, I think, is a little sweeter and more delicate than Spanish paprika which is what one would consider "normal" paprika. I found mine at Kroger, so I would think any major grocery store would carry it. The name is PA~PA (well, the little mark actually goes near the top of the first A, but I don't know how to do that) and it is imported from Hungary, but it is distributed by International Bazaar, Inc., Dayton, OH. There's probably more than one brand. If you have a World Market near you, they probably have it. Make sure you get the sweet Hungarian paprika. There's a hot one, too.

Last edited:
Cornbread Dressing
Crumble a pone (Skillet) of cooled. Southern corn bread (as in NO SUGAR ADDED) in a large bowl. Mix in pepper ridge farm dressing mix (blue label) or dried and crumbled bread crumbs. I use about 1/2 and 1/2 corn bread to bread. ( My xMIL adds about 1/2 cup cold cooked rice to hers)

Stir fry chopped onion and celery in oil until onion is transparent. Add to bread mixture. Heat 1/2 cup of milk in same skillet just til warm and pour on bread mixture. Add chicken or turkey broth (you want finished product to be pudding like consistency so add in small amts.)

Season with Poultry seasoning, rubbed or fresh chopped sage and thyme. (I like McCormick's and add extra sage and thyme. If you dry your own sage a coffee grinder processed it beautifully. I actually make my own poultry seasoning most of the time. Thyme, Sage, Majoram, Rosemary, Black Pepper, grated fresh Nutmeg).

Mix in your seasonings and have a taster to help determine when you have enough. You may want some salt but if cooking a turkey there is usually enough salt in the broth.

Now mix in 3-6 eggs. The more the richer and obviously if you are making a large pan add more eggs.

Bake until set and brown around edges. Can also be used to stuff turkey just make it a little drier.

Now my personal variation: I add about 2 cups yellow crookneck squash cooked until soft, I mash it and mix in with the everything else. I cook it in chicken broth and add the juice too.

Giblet Gravey
chop cooked giblets and boiled eggs.
Add to chicken broth
add about a 1/2 c milk.
Salt and pepper to taste
Thicken with cornstarch dissolve in water.

Hope this helps. Feel free to make it your own by adjusting seasonings, veggies etc to your own tastes.

Best Sweet potatoes ever. I think they are actually yams, ya know the really orange ones, not the pale whitish ones.

5-6 lbs of sweet taties
1 cup of real butter-you could use marjarine but why?
1 cup dark brown sugar.
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon(to taste really)
dash of nutmeg
dash of cloves

Peel taties and boil until just softened. You don't want them cooked all the way. I just do this by sticking a fork in them. If the fork goes in but not too easy they are done.

Drain taties. In a sausepan or deep skillet melt butter and brown sugar on low. Add sweet potatoes. Now just cover and keep on a simmer or little higher than simmer. A crock pot works great here because you really just want them to soak in the sugar and butter. You want them to cook low and slow. Don't want sugar or butter to burn or turn hard crack. Keep cooking on low until the potatoes are done all the way through and are all soaked in the sugary buttery goodness. You will have some sauce that does not soak in. That is ok. I usally simmer about 2 hours.

The end result is a candy like sweet potatoe. The richness comes from real butter. These are so good and even better the next day. I don't insult my sweet potatoes by adding marshmellow. To me that is just a completly different dish. And never say canned. Shame on you. Canned are only good for one thing-sweet potatoe pie.

This recipe came from great grandma and is not written down anywhere. When I take these to potlucks or dinners, I get rave reveiws. Mainly because it is so simple yet rich and you can tast the sweet potatoe well.

Happy Early Thanksgiving everyone!!
yippiechickie.gif

I just had something that was wonderful...super simple...and RICH!

Oreo Balls

1 pkg Oreo's (crushed)
1/2 pkg almond bark (your choice, white's are pretty)
1 pkg 8oz cream cheese

Crush Oreo's. Melt almond bark in microwave safe bowl, Place other ingredients in bowl, soften cream cheese. Mix well. Roll into small balls...small because they are RICH...chill for 30 minutes....and serve on your lovely holiday dishes!

Quick, rich, and sweet. They were really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gwen, my dh would go nuts over your oreo balls!
tongue2.gif

It reminded me of the pudding I make with the oreos...one small box of instant chocolate pudding, one small container of sour cream, about half a tub of Cool Whip...oreo cookies!
Break up the oreo cookies and spread over the bottom of a rectangular or round glass dish(to see the dessert better). Just enough to cover the bottom of the dish well. Mix up the pudding with about 1 1/2 cups of milk till thick, carefully stir in the sour cream and the cool whip and spread over the oreos. this has always been a hit!! I have used vanilla cookies with vanilla pudding, and added bananas to the pudding mixture. that goes over real well, also. Very fast dessert!

I need ideas for an easy, yet delicious, dip to take to my daughter's to have before dinner. She puts on a spread every year and I have yet to find a really good dip everyone would like. There are a few diet restrictions, though. Like no onions, garlic, peanuts, or anchovies. Any ideas??

OK, I made this the other day and EVERYBODY raved. It is sooooo easy but it's really good.

Sausage Dip:
1 lb sausage hot or mild, browned and drained
1 can Ro-tel
2 packs cream cheese

Drain sausage. Add all ingredients and stir well. Serve hot or cold with chips, hawaiian bread, etc...

Quote:
Boy, that sausage dip sounds yummy. I also have one that takes a package of cream cheese softened with a little bit of lemon juice, then pour a jar of cocktail sauce over the cream cheese, then top with a can or two of crab meat.

UHmmmm!
tongue.png

I also am doing my usual little appetizer:
I buy the large can of chicken chunks from Sams ($7.88)
Shred that well, mix in ranch dressing and black pepper till it suits your taste, and serve on party crackers or toasted bites...

Forgot to add:
Have you made the Mexican dip? It's layers of sour cream, bean dip, guacamole, etc...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Very good, That is what they are potato Latkes, witch is eaten at Hanukkah, and the other recipe “flat bread” is home made Matzo witch is eaten at Passover.
And the Lamb, stuffed grape leaves, and stuffed dates we eat at Passover.

the lamb is eaten in most middle eastern countries, and my mom makes the best stuffed grape leaves. EVER.

I'll have to find the recipe and get it to you when I get home from school.

Back
Top Bottom