Holy crap...she lived!

debkichline

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
My two idiot dogs combined with an idiot chicken made for quite an exciting Saturday morning about 4 weeks ago. The dogs were holding the chicken down and ripping her feathers out. That came with skin, fat, and a great deal of squawking. When my son found her she was just sitting on the ground and quite beaten up. She lost all of the feathers on her back and about half of the skin. There were also raw spots on a wing and her neck. Things looked bleak and I told my son not to expect her to survive. Well, 4 weeks later, lots of bandages and neosporin, isolation from the flock, and a cozy home in a tub in the basement, and she still lives.

At last check, feathers had grown out about an inch in all of the injured areas and she can fly. I'm ready to get her out of the basement because it smells like a 4-H barn down there but I'm concerned about reintroducing her to the flock. Usually, flocks will kill a weak or injured bird. After 4 weeks of nurse maid duties I don't want to lose her! Any suggestions would be exceptionally appreciated. We live in southern Ohio and the weather is 60 during the day and high 30's at night.

Thanks!

I'd reintroduce her the way you introduce a total stranger... In a very visible run, in permanent sight and close proximity to the flock the chook will be introduced to, for at least a week before letting them mingle, and then keep a close eye on them for a day or two after allowing the 'new' chook into the main flock.

Best wishes.

Thanks! Your input is exceptionally appreciated.

We have never introduced a new chicken to the flock. Our first flock just disappeared due to attrition. Predators got them one at a time over the course of 2 years in random incidents (we only had 6 to start). This spring we started with an entirely new flock. My 14 year old son does the "flock management" so I will set him about the task of engineering this.

Back
Top Bottom