Holy Limping Chicken Forum, Batman! (eom)

Sooo many causes. Can you give us more details? And please post pictures and/or video(s)? Remember when uploading a video to post it to YouTube first, then copy/paste it here. :)

I've noticed it as well. Most likely they are injuries from birds jumping down from an elevated roost or other high object such as a lawn chair or something like that.
Typically the bird pulls or strains a tendon or ligament which causes limping. Usually it's standard size breeds or heavy breeds that are more susceptible to these injuries.
Lowering roosts and eliminating high places where they jump down and injure themselves helps prevent these types of injuries.
Healing times vary from several weeks to several months or never depending on the severity of the injury. Hens have a much better chance of healing than roosters.
I've dealt with these types of injuries quite a few times.

Hi @dawg53 !!!!!Super good to hear from you!
Thank you for weighing in.
My questions have been, how do you tell the difference between an injury and potentially mareks paralysis?
Can a bird (vaccinated or unvaccinated) recuperate from the mareks paralysis?
Of injuries, what percentage have you found to be injuries vs mareks paralysis?

Hi @dawg53 !!!!!Super good to hear from you!
Thank you for weighing in.
My questions have been, how do you tell the difference between an injury and potentially mareks paralysis?
Can a bird (vaccinated or unvaccinated) recuperate from the mareks paralysis?
Of injuries, what percentage have you found to be injuries vs mareks paralysis?
I cant help you regarding Marek's disease. I've never dealt with it (and dont wanna deal with it.)

Back
Top Bottom