Holy Smokes I have a rooster!

chloemama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Northern Rhode Island
Oh boy am I in big trouble!. I ordered chicks against the wishes, sort of, of my better half. He's building this fabulous coop for me - with all the grumblings too LOL

Now Gertie is a ROOSTER!!! I'm not sure what I am suppose to do with him - my daughter calls him Gary now LOL

I contacted the hatchery I purchased the chicks from, not really expecting them to do anything. My problem is that I can't keep a rooster, we don't want any chicks popping up, don't want to post him on craigslist for fear that he will end up dinner.

Any thoughts?

Well, you won't have chicks unless you incubate them or you have a hen go broody. Even if that happens, you can break it. Just make sure you are collecting the eggs several times a day. Try looking here on BYC to see if anyone wants your roo, if you are afraid of Craigslist.

I may have the same issue - one tip that someone mentioned is to offer up a hen with the rooster when you sell them on CL, plus ask for a price that's higher than they could get a chicken for at the store. Hopefully I will have all hens, but I am trying to keep options open JUST in case.
smile.png

why do not want to keep the rooster are you hiding the chickens if you are worried about baby chicks just gather/Pick the eggs a few time everyday as long as you don't have a hen go broody or you hatch them you should be fine with not having any chicks. what kind of rooster do you have?

why do not want to keep the rooster are you hiding the chickens

Well my man didn't want chickens. He is getting more friendly with the hens but from the onset told me no roosters! I am a newbie and at first thought this one was just a big hen LOL then she got her comb and waddle 1st and it's pretty big - this am I opened the door to let them out and she crowed!

This is the only time I've been thankful that man is out of town 4 days a week. LOL

Thanks all-

When I post roosters on Craigslist, I usually include a picture so people can see how pretty they are. List his breed, since he's from a hatchery, he's probably purebred. There's a chance someone could be looking for a nice-looking, purebred flock rooster. Mention how well-mannered he is - that's he's good to the hens and has never attacked a person, so you feel he's an excellent canidate as a flock rooster. I wouldn't charge more than $5. When someone responds to the ad, let them know that you are looking for a breeding home for him and that you will not give/sell him to anyone who will eat him.

Back
Top Bottom