Home made noodles

Our Roost

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
ScottsVille, michigan
My deceased wife of 4 years use to make home made noodles with English beef pot roast and gravy. It was to die for and I still make it. I thought why not for chicken noodle soup. Noodles are noodles and they would probabally taste good in the home made soup as well. Oh my gosh! Fantastic idea that turned out to be a winner with everyone that has tried it. The recipe is simple and doesnt require much time or effort. It can be messy with the flour!
I use 1 cup of all purpose flour. Pour about 3/4 of the cup into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and crack 3 eggs into the middle. Use a large enough bowl for mixing and stirring or you will have a mess on your hands. Stir and mix until flour and eggs combine. Get your hands in there now and start shaping into a ball and kneading. Will probabally be sticky. Move ball to a cutting board sprinkled with some of the flour you have left and knead until it is no longer sticky. You may have to add a bit more flour than a cup. Use a floured rolling pin and start rolling it out like a pizza dough. Turning and lightly flouring as you go. About 1/8 in thick should do. You are almost done! Next is cutting it to length and width. Since it should be somewhat round after rolling, I trim it into a square or rectangle. I will then cut it in half. Start slicing your noodles lengthwise into the width you want your noodles. Use a long sharp knife! no need to cook these before dropping them in your soup. Just drop them in your simmering soup at the end for about 5 minutes or so and they will cook themselves tender. These will refrigerate for several days if you end up with too many noodles. I suppose you could freeze them also. Mine get gobbled up and there arent any left overs! You can use these in any recipe calling for noodles. Enjoy!

Or...using your same noodle recipe....

I grew up with a Grandma who was a wonderful PA Dutch cook and she would make us Ham Pot Pie (or you can use chicken).

She would roll her dough out a little thicker and then cut it in 2" squares, drop them in her ham broth, add some cut up potatoes, and boil with a lid on (watch for boil overs) for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and keep boiling for another 10.

Good and plenty eating!

I use the same recipe. Only I use a a lot more flour and eggs lol. I do several batches and I cut them with a pizza cutter (works great) and then I coat all the extras in flour and leave them set on the table for about an hr. I then frees several batches of them for rainy day soup without the mess. They taste the same whether fresh or frozen!

2" squares! Hot ham pie in a Pa dutch oven. Yummm! You have given me an idea for my home made bean soup with drop dumplings. I'll use the noodle squares next time with ham. Thanks!

I love the home made noodles. I invested in a roller and cutter, from King Arther Flour catalog. ONe of the first recipes I had my kids make at 3-4 years old. THe could make a mess, but no mess up the noodles !! Later they didn't like the noodles, but time has passed and tastes have changed again. They so love these noodles in soups!! Especially leftover chicken from the hot deli made into soup.

Thickens a soup beautifully!!

Back
Top Bottom