Home(s) needed for bantam chicks (Massachusetts)

GardenerGal

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Massachusetts
My chickens hatched more eggs than I was planning for, this season, and I have about 10 very nice peeps looking for a new home. They range in age from a couple of weeks to a little over a month old. Nearly all are pure-bred, black-tailed white Japanese bantams.

There is a good balance of pullets to cockerels. I can re-home them all together or in smaller lots, but please be willing to take both sexes.

PM me if interested.
I'm in northeast Mass.

Seven of the chicks have been re-homed.
smile.png

There are still several chicks that are waiting to be adopted. They look like, and most probably are, pullets.

Where are you in MA? I'm in the Berkshires for the month and would love to take two chicks back to NYC for our school coop. We spoil our ladies and we would love to add Bantams to our flock.

Hi Winifredbee,
I'm on the opposite end, on the coast! I do go through the Berkshires on my way to NY on the Taconic Pkwy, but won't be out that way until September... too late to meet up.

Last edited:
Would these chicks do ok with standard hens? I've just moved 8 chicks (8-10) weeks old into our new coop, I am also in northeast MA and may be interested if they are girls, no boys allowed :-(

Would these chicks do ok with standard hens? I've just moved 8 chicks (8-10) weeks old into our new coop, I am also in northeast MA and may be interested if they are girls, no boys allowed :-(
Hi Kathryn123

I am in Salem.

A lot of people keep bantams with standard size hens. I used to do it but found that the big hens could be bullies, especially if there are a lot of them. They just crowd out the little guys! When I had just a couple of standard hens in a large barn and run, there were no problems for the bantams, but in a small coop it could be an issue.

A bunch of people have posted in the "managing your flock" section about mixing the two sizes, and maybe you could get some helpful info there.

The remaining chicks are all pullets.

Last edited:
Thank you,I am aware of the mixing, just not familiar with the breed you have so wasn't sure if they would do well with standard chicks. Chicken math struck for me, imagine that lol I have my 4 adult standard hens in a smaller coop at my barn and recently built a larger coop and run at my house. Was thinking of adding a few bantams to the mix when I saw your post. I'll do a little research on your breed and if they are still available may be interested. I am just in Hamilton, so pretty close to you as well- many thanks!

I'm right off Rte. 1A, so a "straight" shot south from Hamilton. Not far at all.
Japanese bantams (also called Chabo) are gentle and make wonderful pets. My adult birds get along fine with the other breeds I keep. I've already re-homed the three cockerels, fortunately. The rest are all pullets. You are welcome to some of the pullets if you decide that they would work out with the standard breeds in your coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom