Homemade Chicken Waterer - Milk Jug

FranciscoR

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Independence, Ky
So, after nearly 1mth of my small dog waterer, I'm over it...lol I've been struggling to come up with a low cost / no cost (using on-hand stuff) solution. So this morning, I came up with this. I know people have made endless variations of this. I had a old plant dish, and a old and nasty milk jug. I cleaned out the dish and jug. I drilled two holes below the top edge of the dish. This allows water flow, and is where I fill jug from. Total cost: $0. I'll probably put in some sort of jug supports, but for now, I'm very happy. 1 gallon of water will last a lot longer than 1 liter. Plus, I plan to elevate this and feeder off floor. That should save food, and keep shavings our of waterer.

If you can get your hands on one of those 5 gallon bottled water jugs, it works on the same principle...I put cling wrap and a rubber band over the top, drilled holes in the bottom and set in an oil drain pan (clean)...

Totally agree. I've currently got 1-5gal and like 5-3gal/4gal buckets. I would've used one, but didn't have a big enought pan. This will work fine for my needs. I may end up using some old bungee cord to hold jug in place. That being said, it's still a lot better than a small 1 liter dog waterer.

So, after nearly 1mth of my small dog waterer, I'm over it...lol I've been struggling to come up with a low cost / no cost (using on-hand stuff) solution. So this morning, I came up with this. I know people have made endless variations of this. I had a old plant dish, and a old and nasty milk jug. I cleaned out the dish and jug. I drilled two holes below the top edge of the dish. This allows water flow, and is where I fill jug from. Total cost: $0. I'll probably put in some sort of jug supports, but for now, I'm very happy. 1 gallon of water will last a lot longer than 1 liter. Plus, I plan to elevate this and feeder off floor. That should save food, and keep shavings our of waterer.

I love this idea and would like to use it. Is there a way to glue this down so it can be hung up?

Back
Top Bottom