Homemade Ham and Bacon....Yum! (pics, smoked sausage pic added)

I am going to use hot wire next year too. Did not raise any pigs last year but will do at least a couple next year. We just used hog panels. If you put them in the ground at least 6 inches. That helps too.

We raise beef cattle as well. I should have mentioned that our hog pasture area is 4 or 5 acres for only 4-8 pigs at a time. So, they can't tear it up but so much. And we do rotate them between pastures too. Also we don't keep any large hogs. We start a group of feeder pigs twice per year - raise them for 5-6 months to market hog size (around 250-275 lbs), then have them processed. So, we never have 500+ lb hogs tearing up pasture areas.

Funny, Talihofarms.....we let ours have the large market garden plots too! Agreed, they do a wonderful job tilling! And we've found slug and beatle (grub) populations much easier to control if the pigs have a go at the plots. Our market gardens are bordered with dog wire and electric fence around top... to keep ground hogs, rabbits, and our own cattle out. Edit: ooppsss, misssed your question. Most of what we raise are Duroc, Hampshires, and Yorkshire mixes.

DH took this pic Sunday morning after it snowed all day on Christmas & Christmas night. (Also shown on FB.) These 4 are in one of the market gardens until late January....then it's processing time. But they're having a big time for now.
smile.png

snow122510pigs3.jpg

Last edited:
Kim) So that smoker you have is a cold smoker? We have a "hot" smoker (I guess is what it would be called...) but was looking for something to smoke and cure meat that will still keep it raw (like bacon)

Thanks
smile.png

We're not smoking aficionados LOL. But, using it with the side firebox, then yes, I guess it would be called a "cold smoker". The smoke from the side firebox rolls over into the main grill. You keep the side fire hot enough to maintain 250° in the main grill. The pork bellies (bacon sections) that we do weigh about 5 lbs. They remain "raw" after 5 hours of smoking. We slice them and then fry the bacon (like you would cook commercial sliced bacon).

Same with the hams....
Our netted hams are 3 - 4 lb, deboned, and then netted. After 5 hours of smoking, they still need baked in the oven, or they can be sliced and fried.

Thanks Kim, thats what I was trying to find out
smile.png
That's so cool! We got a small smoker but if I was to try and smoke a pork belly in there it would turn to jerky due to the heat lol. Bacon jerky? Hm...

Bacon Jerky? Hmmmm....somehow that doesn't sound so bad
big_smile.png

Here's the finished smoked sausage, about 30 minutes before removing from the smoker on New Year's Eve Day. And yes, it was delicious! LOL....we have 1 ring left....should have made 6 or more:

smokedsausage010111.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom