jcamacho

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
NW Arkansas
Hi all,

Over the weekend I decided to build myself an incubator out of ply wood. I've tested out different bulbs to see which wattage gives me the temperature that I need to Incubate the eggs properly. At the moment, I am using a 100 Watt ceramic heat bulb. This so far has been the best option to get my temperature to 99.8 (I've seen 99.5-100 degrees being the ideal temp.) I am also using a thermostat to shut off my heat source and back on when needed etc.

I have attached photos of the incubator. I have the sensor from the thermostat hanging above the egg turner (Please advise on best places to put it? ) and I seem to be getting a good reading. The temperature reaches the 99.8-100 degrees and then it shuts off. What I have noticed though is, (referencing the photo I provided) My basket (with the thermometer) that is where I will put my eggs when they are ready to hatch but the temperature there reads 7 degrees lower than the top. Which I knew would happen.

My question is, How can I get my heat to distribute evenly throughout the whole incubator? I built it to where my water source is at the bottom, then I have 2 baskets where I can put eggs to hatch and then my egg turner on top. On the top left corner is my fan. (I took apart one of those holiday inflatable things that you put in your yard) At the moment, the fan is facing downward towards the bottom of the incubator. I am thinking that I will need a bigger fan for sure, but where would be the bests place to place it? I am still trial and erroring with it currently so I am open to making any changed to the incubator. I want it to work perfectly for when I put eggs in. I have some foil tape that I thought maybe would work if I lined the inside of my incubator with it? I'm not sure if that'll work though.

I am open to suggestions! I've recently picked this up as a hobby so I am still learning. Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• tempImageNNCmoB.png
    tempImageNNCmoB.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
  • tempImageJZWm8K.png
    tempImageJZWm8K.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • tempImageG1LvhU.png
    tempImageG1LvhU.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
Nice build! You can use another little fan to circulate the air in the opposite corner. Don't forget to seal your plywood or it will absorb your humidity.
Thanks a lot for the advice! I may end up using 2 PC fans and place them on opposite corners like you mentioned! Also, I forgot to mention, I sealed the plywood with an acrylic spray sealant! Should that be enough?

Back
Top Bottom