Homemade killing cone!

Beekissed

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
I converted a 2 gal. bleach jug into a killing cone this weekend and it worked wonderfully! It also presented the chicken's neck at just the right juncture for a clean slice to remove the entire head.

I'll never go back to the axe again, that's for sure.

Found some very odd things in these chickens this time and I should have taken some pics....one was a huge and very gross egg impaction. The other was the biggest set of roo cojones I've ever witnessed!
ep.gif
lau.gif
They were as big as golf balls!
th.gif

I know this is an old thread. But you are one of the experienced people who I respect and look forward to reading your answers.

Can you tell me if you are still using a bleach bottle? For me, it's not just about saving $, but also how well it works. Our first chicken will be processed as soon as get the cone and  the courage! Hubby says he will process the rest of the bird but I have to make the first cut that bleeds them out.

As I strongly believe my birds are being raised well and eating is part of the circle of life, I know I am doing the right thing... morally. So my mind is made up and my heart is set on it. We have been openly talking about it in preparation for the day.

Also we are considering just skinning the whole thing instead of plucking when we first start out. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
~Alyssa

I know this is directed to Bee, but I just want to say Good for You!

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread. But you are one of the experienced people who I respect and look forward to reading your answers.

Can you tell me if you are still using a bleach bottle? For me, it's not just about saving $, but also how well it works. Our first chicken will be processed as soon as get the cone and the courage! Hubby says he will process the rest of the bird but I have to make the first cut that bleeds them out.

As I strongly believe my birds are being raised well and eating is part of the circle of life, I know I am doing the right thing... morally. So my mind is made up and my heart is set on it. We have been openly talking about it in preparation for the day.

Also we are considering just skinning the whole thing instead of plucking when we first start out. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
~Alyssa

Sure am! Used the same one for years now, that's how sturdy they are...it's left up on the tree in all weathers and never deteriorates.

As for the skinning, I can show you a little vid I did....not very good video as I'm no public speaker and just have a little photo camera for taking video, but it may give you an idea at how easy it is.

0.jpg

My WRs have very thick feathering, especially as they move into winter, so you may not have to fight with all the little feathers everywhere like I do in this vid. Sorry for the poor quality.

Here's a fella skinning down a CX...keep in mind that the CX is a baby bird, so very easy to skin and especially while the carcass is still hot. You won't be able to skin a regular DP bird in this manner, though it's still easier when the carcass is freshly killed. His method is slower but he's not getting feathers all over his meat like I did/do. If he removed the wing ends and feet first, it would go even more smoothly for him and I wouldn't attempt to gut while it's still hanging up...but all in all, it's better than most vids out there on it.

0.jpg

The pictures help. But your kind and encouraging words bring an even greater sense of peace.

I love the calm of morning as well! Quiet time with God is important to my well being and I love just watching the sun dawn on creation. It's a great way to start the day. It just puzzles me to no end what kind of imagination One would have to have to come up with all the beauty and intricacies and how they all work together.... Wow..... Bodies that heal themselves are science reality! Not fiction.

Yes, I have have cried while cleaning puke off my head when raising kids.... just part of the job
smile.png

Thank you very much! It will probably still be a couple days. I will let you know how it went, with good expectations. And I will also be sharing your response with my husband!
highfive.gif

Thanks for your description. I'm about to cull my first birds next week and dreaming about it every night. I want to be pragmatic and when i decided to hatch chicks always intended to eat any surplus but it's still hard to actually go through with it.

Thanks for your description. I'm about to cull my first birds next week and dreaming about it every night. I want to be pragmatic and when i decided to hatch chicks always intended to eat any surplus but it's still hard to actually go through with it.
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I haven't started dreaming about it.... yet. But it won't surprise me if I do. Good for you for following through even though it is difficult, especially the first time.

It probably won't be as hard to go through with it as it is to know what the chickens at the super market have been through, for me. But still hard. Aside from just looking at the cone, I have found myself becoming familiar with the sight of the chicken IN the cone as well. Of course I'm not looking to turn cold, but the desensitization of seeing another bird I haven't raised will help when I am faced with it. Weird how I can usually deal with serious situations when I am in them.... until I have to say it out loud. It's like speaking it makes it real. I never expected to learn so much about myself from raising chickens!
smile.png

And I know there are plenty of videos on the internet, but to me BYC was a place where I feel safe!

Hope your chickens are yummy and all go well for your first culling!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom