Homemade killing cone!

Hmm, I don't know about that... I don't think I could eat that particular part of an animal. I'd usually try anything once, but it's just the thought of it. Around here though a popular event is the Rocky Mountain Oyster feast. Rocky Mountain Oysters for those who don't know are bull testicles. Sorry, but the Testicle Festival is not for me. Blech.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
Excellant idea! I like to bleed my birds out quietly so I just slice the jugular instead of removing the head. I hold them by the feet and they just calmly hang out, bleeding and looking around upsidedown (usually do two at a time). They still have a minor CNS response upon loss of consciousness, though, so this bleach bottle cone would be nice in keeping from being beaten with the wings.

Egg impaction would've been interesting to see. Take pics, next time! I've seen some big cahonas on some of our roos, too. Always a shocker!

I killed my first chicken today. I'm still a bit traumatized. I was not excpecting him to stay so calm and trusting.

I tied his legs together, and put a plastic Walmart bag (with a hole in the bottom) over his head, effectively serving the same function as the bleach bottle, I guess. But I'm thinking I'll try the bleach bottle next time so I can hook it up permanently as I plan to be doing a bunch of chickens over time.

Thanks for the idea.

Did you have to cut some of the top of the bleach bottle off or does the 2 gallon size bottle have a large enough hole?

Where exactly is the jugular vein located? How do you find it under the neck feathers? This is the method that I would like to try because it seems a more peaceful way to die
roll.png
. I've read that even when you cut their head off they are still somewhat alive and are struggling because they are trying to get a breath. Whether this is true or not, I don't know but I'm familiar with the story of Mike the headless chicken.

I cut some off the top of the jug.

When the chicken is comfortably contained in the jug, just pull down gently on the head with your thumb under the beak. Slice directly where the waddles meet the feathers on the neck. A nice deep cut here opens both carotid and jugular and you don't have to sever the whole head. This way the spinal cord isn't damaged and the bird just calmly bleeds out and cannot breath. No ugly jerking and curling of the neck when the spinal cord is left undamaged.
smile.png

Are you saying to cut perpendicular to the neck at the point where the waddle meets the feathers, or are you saying to cut some what vertically, along the waddle/feather junction? (I'm thinking that the waddle runs vertically, and we want a horizontal cut).

Bill Ross

Back
Top Bottom