Homemade Layer Feed Questions

Umm, last time around they were like $12 for 50lbs if I remember correctly.
If possible, I would rather use wheat and/or milo in the ration as those I can obtain for "free". I can add a little corn in though if necessary. It's only like $5 for 60lbs.

I can't see any reason you could not make your own. When I was a kid my folks at mixer/grinders and even an old hammermill and we made all our own feeds, We raised corn,soybeans sun flowers, rye and oats. I do not know the exact mix my Dad made but we always had eggs and fat happy chickens to eat. I know some will say you cannot feed soybeans to chickens, but we did it and it worked for us.

The only thing we bought was oyster shells for the calcium. I know when a cow freshened we fed the milk first few milking to the chickens and pigs. If I had milo, wheat and corn available to me now, I would not buy a feed. BUT I am considered old timer by many on here.

I can't see any reason you could not make your own. When I was a kid my folks at mixer/grinders and even an old hammermill and we made all our own feeds, We raised corn,soybeans sun flowers, rye and oats. I do not know the exact mix my Dad made but we always had eggs and fat happy chickens to eat. I know some will say you cannot feed soybeans to chickens, but we did it and it worked for us.

The only thing we bought was oyster shells for the calcium. I know when a cow freshened we fed the milk first few milking to the chickens and pigs. If I had milo, wheat and corn available to me now, I would not buy a feed. BUT I am considered old timer by many on here.

Nothing wrong with that! I'm only 31 in number, but my thinking is generally "old timer" in nature and the hubby even more so!

Neither wheat, corn or milo has enough protein.You can use them but without a higher source of protein your mix will never have a proper protein level.

Wheat:
Wheat is commonly used as a major source of energy in many countries. Wheat is higher in protein than
corn or other small grains. However wheat is limited to 30% inclusion unless you add enzymes for
digestion. Lysine should also be added as wheat is low in this amino acid. For proper digestion of
wheat you should add Xylanase Enzyme, following manufacturer’s directions.
Oats or Barley:
The primary purpose of oats and barley is to add fiber and to increase the bulk density of feed. The hull
makes up 20% of the weight of oats and barley. High fiber from small grains keeps the digestive track
clean and can also be used to limit feed intake. High-fiber small grains also add protein and energy,
although most of this added nutrition is burned off digesting the excess fiber. Oats and barley have an
inclusion limitation of 15% in any combination without added digestive enzymes. The result of excess
oats or barley is wet litter and poor digestive viscosity.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

Neither wheat, corn or milo has enough protein.You can use them but without a higher source of protein your mix will never have a proper protein level.

Wheat:
Wheat is commonly used as a major source of energy in many countries. Wheat is higher in protein than
corn or other small grains. However wheat is limited to 30% inclusion unless you add enzymes for
digestion. Lysine should also be added as wheat is low in this amino acid. For proper digestion of
wheat you should add Xylanase Enzyme, following manufacturer’s directions.
Oats or Barley:
The primary purpose of oats and barley is to add fiber and to increase the bulk density of feed. The hull
makes up 20% of the weight of oats and barley. High fiber from small grains keeps the digestive track
clean and can also be used to limit feed intake. High-fiber small grains also add protein and energy,
although most of this added nutrition is burned off digesting the excess fiber. Oats and barley have an
inclusion limitation of 15% in any combination without added digestive enzymes. The result of excess
oats or barley is wet litter and poor digestive viscosity.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/102993.pdf

if you noticed I included Soybeans on my list to up protein. BUGS are my chickens main protein now. with the occasional mouse.

However, if you are using a hard winter wheat which can have up to 16% protein depending on soil and weather conditions or Milo at 12-13% protein it is not going to take much more.

I even raise my CX's on a 14-16% protein ration to slow their growth and lengthen their lifespans. As I said I know some here will not like my old school techiniques but they work for me, as they did for my parents, and grandparents. I am a farm kid from wayyyyyyy back.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom