Homer the One Eyed Chick (with an adorable picture!)

I like chicks and other animals that have different things like a blind eye etc.
This is my West of england with the bad eye. (it doesn't show in this pic.)

Looking at the pic now, it looks like he may have an eye in there? Is it not just glued shut? Just wondering, because we've had that happen to us with a chick once. We wiped carefully along the eye lid with a wet Q-tip and she managed to open her eye. 
Yes I had the same experience with one chick. I made up a saline solution and bathed it open with a cotton bud.

Last edited:
@flutterbee

How does Georg get along. What special measures do you have to take for his safety and care? I have an Augsburger chick that hatched blind. I had two others from that hatch that died post hatch, but were different breeds, so I think something was wrong with the method of incubation rather than the chicks/breeds. Anyway we normally free - range the chickens, but I don't know how he/she will survive that without becoming hawk bait. Currently he runs all over the other chicks, sorta pecks along their sides down their necks to the feed/water dishes. He's not as big as the other chicks, but he seems strong enough.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Lauraschicks

Last edited:
@flutterbee

How does Georg get along. What special measures do you have to take for his safety and care? I have an Augsburger chick that hatched blind. I had two others from that hatch that died post hatch, but were different breeds, so I think something was wrong with the method of incubation rather than the chicks/breeds. Anyway we normally free - range the chickens, but I don't know how he/she will survive that without becoming hawk bait. Currently he runs all over the other chicks, sorta pecks along their sides down their necks to the feed/water dishes. He's not as big as the other chicks, but he seems strong enough.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Lauraschicks
Georg died years ago, but we had him for about five or six years (I think we got him as an adult). We always left the coop open for him and kept an eye on him when he was around other roosters. He did pretty well for himself and we tried to keep objects in the same place because he managed to learn his way around (like keeping water and food in the same location and such). Honestly, I think as long as you keep an eye on him, he'll be perfectly fine free ranging :D

That is too cool! I have two peacocks and five guinea hens (and my eight chickens). I wish I had more birds xD
thank's,i am a bird addict,the budgies will have to come in to their inside aviary next month,i used to raise quail and dove's,hubby say's we are getting quail again this fall,woooohoooooooooooo,i also love peacok's,sound's like your flock is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom