Homeschool families?

I have homeschooled my two kids for 5 years. Kids love it and so do I!
big_smile.png

Connie
Premier Silkies

Our homeschool structure is eclectic. My youngest son is on the spectrum, and we have found learns best by focusing in blocks on a subject rather than a bit of everything every day. We are fortunate that his hobbies happen to be extremely beneficial to his brain's development. His focus for the past few years has been puppetmaking,which is wonderful for exercising his abstract thinking skills ( http://crittersbychris.com/ excuse the bleeping in the video, classic teen boy humor) . These will help with Math and Writing, among others. Right now he's learning Flash, which is Adobe's animation program. This will eventually lead him into programming and physics, along with some geometry. Plus, he'll have some fantastic Tech skills. The math curriculum we use are workbooks from Key Curriculum Press. I've been pretty happy with them, they are simply written and allow us to move along pretty quickly. Next year we play with geometry. Oh, another interest that we have been exploring is Make Electronics, it's a book filled with hands on exercises. It's fantastic. http://www.amazon.com/MAKE-Electron...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267991118&sr=8-1

My eldest son is able to take some classes at the local high school, this year he took French II, Advanced Pre-Calc and Physics. Next year will look pretty similar for him, French II, AP Calc and AP Physics. He chooses his classes. At home our focus is on literature, writing and anything else of interest to him. His choice in books has always been pretty extreme (the boy loves his Pulitzer prizewinners), so I just let him read whatever he wants and we discuss the books. One of the new toys that he's going to be playing with is Adobe Premiere. His background is in Theater, so this was a natural move for him. We'll be getting him a video camera this summer to shoot the screenplay that he will be shortly. If he can become proficient at Premiere, it's a very marketable skill.

As you can see, we don't use a structured packaged curriculum. I know that for many people it is the right choice, but a more creative approach is better for our family.

The University here requires a certain score on the ACT/SAT, or on the GED. The private colleges require the same, along with an essay, portfolio of work and transcripts of any classes taken away from home. His Senior year will be predominantly at the Community College. A high school diploma is not required by many colleges, homeschooling has become a common choice and they have worked to include them in the admissions process.

Oh, and homeschoolers qualify for the educational discount with Adobe software. There is a bit of paperwork to fill out, and homeschooling is not listed on their site as qualifying. But, if you call and talk to someone in sales they will tell you how to proceed. It's a huge discount. Other software companies may do the same.

5th year.

We use k-12 (k12.com), love it. It allows our boys the time for thier passion for space and robotics (currently programming a laundrybot to do thier least favorite chore).

Quote:
Don't homeschool here, but it's always nice to research options. This tidbit annoyed me. Here in Arlington there's a school for... problem students... ones who miss too much to graduate... pregnant... behavior... illness... whatever. They go there and work at their own pace and they get a diploma from the school they transferred from, NOT from the school they actually attended. That chapped me when I was in school, and still does. If THOSE kids can get the same diploma I did (after four years of working according to state and city rules for grades and attendance) then by golly home schooled children (who didn't flake out or screw up in any way) should too.

You homeschool parents just rock in my book. I'm terrified that I would just botch the whole thing and end up hurting, rather than helping, my kids.

Quote:
Don't homeschool here, but it's always nice to research options. This tidbit annoyed me. Here in Arlington there's a school for... problem students... ones who miss too much to graduate... pregnant... behavior... illness... whatever. They go there and work at their own pace and they get a diploma from the school they transferred from, NOT from the school they actually attended. That chapped me when I was in school, and still does. If THOSE kids can get the same diploma I did (after four years of working according to state and city rules for grades and attendance) then by golly home schooled children (who didn't flake out or screw up in any way) should too.

You homeschool parents just rock in my book. I'm terrified that I would just botch the whole thing and end up hurting, rather than helping, my kids.

Really it doesn't matter. When they're 16 go the dual enrollment route, have them take a class at the local Jr college. Then when they're done with highschool, they're transferring to university from the city college.

of the people who homeschool, are you stay at home? or do you work out of the home too? i just ask, since i work 10+ hours a day. DH works same schedule, same days. Grandparents watch the kids when they aren't in school. anyway, i was wondering how that would work. i noticed one post that said they go through a week of school in two hours. that had me wondering. esp since my middle one seems to be falling behind in school and there is only so much i can do with what the teacher teaches. Not that it's always the teachers fault, but it's almost like my DD2 doesn't *get* how the teacher is teaching certain things. Id like to be able to look more into this but i don't want to have her fall flat on her face with me since we dont' have the same amount of time as some other parents. We leave at 5 am and don't get home(normally) until 5 pm. so it's a long day for us. but it's only 4 days a week(normally)

Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
Would you trust her at home while you're at work? What we use is online at those grades, and you can pretty much have them work thru the day, and you score it and imput grades at night.

An online charter school (disclaimer, I worked for one for 4.5 yrs) may be something to look at.

Wiva's website:

http://www.k12.com/wiva/home

Last edited:
Quote:
You will want to talk with homeschoolers in your state to find out how that is handled. In my state, the homeschool option we use is to register every year as our own private school and we therefore have the power to issue diplomas when we feel our kids have "graduated".

I am in NC but because we are going to use Keystone, my daughter will get a diploma issued from the PA board of education. I admit, I am torn between Keystone and k-12.

http://keystonehighschool.com/

2nd year homeschooling my son now in first grade level. My 3 year old daughter talks about wanting to go to school, but my son and I don't want her to go. She's so wonderful and we'd miss her terribly. She says she'll homeschool if she can take ballet classes. DONE!
My son chose to homeschool. It's been wonderful. The only complaint I have is lack of ME time.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom