Homeschool families?

I don't know any other homeschool other than Seton, but I know there are a lot of others. I use Seton, because it is Catholic and more than just teaching all lessons from a christian point of view, it keeps me where I need to be to be able to teach the way I feel I need to. But if it wouldn't be for the religion, my 6 year old would be almost ready to start the 1st grade. She can proceed in religion, but I would have to give her a C in religion and I would prefer to give her an A. She has problems with about 3 prayers, which she knows, but not perfect, so we are going to read them about 3 or 4 times a day until I can give her a better grade. I can send her to religion class at church, but she will never learn as well as at home. I know. I went there myself. They don't teach it as strick there. But still.....I would be almost done if it wasn't for that.

Quote:
K12.com - Online (at those ages about 40% is online, rest is workbooks) used that myself for the last 5 years

Calvert school - used it when I was a Nanny, I worked with a family that were missionaries in south africa, I homeschooled thier Kinder aged daughter and taught counting to the kids, both thiers and the village kids.

I wanted to start this very same topic...glad you did! I have been homeschooling for 3yrs. My daughter for 6th - 7th and now my two boys for 2nd and 4th grade.

To the person above (not sure how to enter text from others, I'm a newbie to forums) that wasn't sure how the child would adjust coming from public schools but thought homeschool might be best. I want to be honest that my daughter had a hard time with homeschooling. She went to public from k-2 and then switched to a private school until 5th grade. She always longed to be back in school. But every child is so unique. Your child may love the flexibility available with homeschool and never want to go back. My boys really love it! They were both in a private school until just this year. They have more time to do what they want and they can move on when they are done. Don't have all the waiting for other students. When they get it, we move on. They loved their school and would go back if I said I can't homeschool, but as long as this is an option they want to be here. Now even my daughter who was sooo glad to be back in school (at a private school) has days where she misses the laid back style of being homeschooled. I just smile, cause I knew she would miss that part.
wink.png

Just wanted to add for the people wondering if this is possible when you have a job..yes!! I work 40 hrs a week from home, and still have time to fit homeschooling the two boys in, as well as driving my daughter to and from school each day 30miles one way. And I must say it is so encouraging to hear from others that are doing the same thing!! Some days I think I must be nuts. I do lack the ME time as well. I think as moms we just have to make sure to try and get a little time each day to regroup... and at least once a month have a day for yourself. I am here so much, that my kids don't know what to do when I leave. They call me about every hour.."what are you doing?" "where are you?". Dad is here, but its strange to them that I am gone. Of course, they are all wondering where I am to see if I am bringing something home for them too!
lol.png

If you break down each typical school day and take out all the unproductive time, redirection, and nonsense they are only "teaching" a few hours a day anyway. If you have students who can stay on task (and even those who dont
big_smile.png
) you can get through all that is needed to be taught in such a short time. You can improvise with great quality videos etc for science and social studies, have them write about their favorite topics, assign "educational" computer time for any subject you can think of. There is so much out there online for homeschoolers. Kids are flexible, and homeschool can happen anywhere, anytime of day. My kids do a lot of their assignments in the car taking their sister to school. We call that time "carschooling"!!

i home schooled all of mine for years until we moved to our new place..but starting in the fall we will be homeschooling our daughter!
we love the schools out here but we dont feel they are appropriate for a young lady.

I wanted to start a thread like this. So glad to find it!

I homeschool our 2 children, DD is 9, DS is 11.

Not loving it this year as much as I have in the past. Hoping for inspiration here...

Well I just ordered my 14 year old some motivation books on amazon. I bought them both for 1cent each. They are "7 habbits of Effective Teens" and a companion book for the same title. I told my daughter about them and what I am spending and she said I am spending too much money...she was smiling though. Actually she will make 14 in 4 days. I told her the 1 cent books were her birthday present......thats why she said I am spending too much money, but she really got her presents yesterday. Lets hope that she picks up some good habbits from them to help her on her school work, cause apparently I'm doing something wrong.

I have been homeschooling for 11 years now--graduated 2 and am teaching 5 of my boys this year with a 3 year old in the mix. This year I have grades 11, 9, 8, 4 and K. This year has been a rough one with medical issuesthat I am dealing with, but the kids are still learning. I just got a wonderful comment from the dental hygenist today--she told me that I have the nicest and most cooperative boys. She was impressed. I told her that they are homeschooled and don't have to sit in classes learning bad behaviors from their peers all day long. (my boys certainly aren't perfect, but they know how to behave in public).

http://keystonehighschool.com/

For
the person who didn't want to use a religious homeschool program, this is the site for keystone. It is a little expensive but the PA board of eduation will issue a diploma if your child finishes the program. We have to supply a copy of the Iowa Basic Skills Test for my daughter in order to get into the highschool program. My soon to be seventh grader will not need a test.

NC law says that I have to arrange for my children to be tested every year, so it isn't that big a deal for us.

Back
Top Bottom