Homeschool families?

This is an older thread but I pulled it up through search before starting my own!

We homeschool - daughter is in kindergarten and son is one, but they say you homeschool from birth, which I find to be very true. This year dd started a one-day-a-week homeschool enrichment program through the public school to give her the "school" experience she was craving and the community I was craving. That last part is slow to come - I find the group of families to be fabulous but sort of keep to themselves. Since we are not a religious family (spiritual, yes; church-going, no) I don't have that in common. My best friend is Catholic, my other close homechooling friend is also not religious, so I value diversity, but find the close friends thing to be a challenge sometimes. Even more so for my hubby who works at a hospital. His friends are all either doctors, dual income families, or dual-income-no-kids couples. Since we are single income (I make a little from my writing, but not what you would call a second income), the money thing comes up a lot for him. Also, since he works with a lot of really messed up kids (he is a music therapist) the homeschoolers they encounter at work tend to be more... disfunctional, more like the stereotypes that are out there. He is slowly learning "normal" people homeschool too.
wink.png

Anyway. I'm rambling. Just wanted to shout out a hello to homeschoolers on BYC. We are pretty much unschoolers at this point. I value the framework of the Leadership Education or Thomas Jefferson education, which doesn't start kids in formal scholar mode until they are older. We don't really follow either unschooling or TJ very strictly, though - they are just approaches that have informed me on my journey. I am also a part of TAGMAX, a homeschooling forum for gifted and tallented families. So a grab-bag approach here!

welcome-byc.gif
Have you found any playgroups in your area? The ties I have made with people I have met at playgroups have, by far, been the best. We have been homeschooling for five years now and it did take a while to really feel connected with the homeschool community in my area but once we found the right group, it really helped out. We are more unschooling than anything else so the ideals behind Thomas Jefferson Education mesh well with our way of thinking.

I'm a homeschool mom too! I graduated 2 last year and sent them off to college, and now only have a 6th grader to teach. My daughter even received quite a bit of academic and athletic scholarship money.
big_smile.png

Alright! I knew there had to be homeschoolers on this board! Raising chickens is a great "homeschoolie" activity, as my kids call it, hahah

I homeschooled my daughter (20) and son (18) for 7 years, and my youngest (14) was fully homeschooled her whole life until last year. My oldest daughter had no interest in homeschooling, so I just did the younger three. Chelsea (the 20 year old) went to public school for senior year in order to be more involved in the theatre program (she is a theatre major in college now), and Casey and Charlotte partially homeschool and partially take classes at a private Christian school.

We loved homeschool so much! Especially Sonlight. What curriculums does everyone use?

Back
Top Bottom