Homeschool families?

Quote:
I have used the ACE program for 12 years now. It's easy to use, easy to document, and my kids have loved "growing up" with Ace and Christi. (Sigh...) Only one more year to go... Personally, I could homeschool forever, I've loved it that much.

Quote:
This is my 2nd time homeschooling. I did it for a couple of years with my older two children (now 23 and 18) and burned myself right out by trying to be perfect. When I started back up with my two younger school age kids 4 years ago I made myself learn to relax. I've also learned to become more eclectic as far as curriculum is concerned. So, we're using a mix... Teaching Textbooks for math (LOVE IT!), Time4Learning, Alpha Omega, Apologia, Spelling Power, and Explode the Code (also, my DD took a Time4Writing class last semester which was a total WASTE OF MONEY, in my opinion). DD is in a homeschool art class and DS is involved in Boy Scouts.

I'm looking at BJU for some online classes next year, specifically Literature for DS and Reading for DD. I'm going to check out Cozy Grammar for the two of them and we're going to do Mystery of History for History, of course.
wink.png
We'll stick with Teaching Textbooks for math and Apologia for Science. I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Anyway, has anyone else ever used BJU DLO? I spent almost my whole Saturday (rainy and gross) researching it. It's expensive, but it looks like it's good.

We do additional to what they learn in school, so some what?

For us, at least our 2 oldest have gotten so far ahead of anything else in school, so I can't keep up with them.

My big problem with homeschooling is so many of the programs are so heavily Christian based. I don't mind some, but I can't find any that aren't scary hyper Christian to me, so it's not what I want to teach my kids.

Our school year is near its end and I'm already preparing for next year. I've ordered next year's Teaching Textbooks math and Cozy Grammar, and I'm on the verge of signing up for the BJU online reading/lit. Also, I'm looking at IEW for my 13 year old but I don't know much about it. Has anyone on here used it before? If so, what did you think?

Looking at all the different homeschool options (and their prices) makes me
barnie.gif
sometimes!
tongue.png

Robin'sBrood :

Looking at all the different homeschool options (and their prices) makes me
barnie.gif
sometimes!
tongue.png

Right there with you. I know T4L isn't a go for next year, too cartoonie for my kiddos, but which one to pick and stay in our budget?! I've got a friend, also a HSer, looking over the secular Unified Curriculum (3rd & 8th if anyone else wants to chime in) that we're thinking of using... but still, nerve wrecking!

Hubby & I go to ICHE in a couple wks...

(IL Christian Home educators) conference...

what is ACE? never heard of it...

math we LOOOVE teaching textbooks and we ADORE Mystery of History...

we need a HANDS on science program for 8th grade, a good literature program or at least reading list..and we have an ok English; not crazy about it, but we pay a local church
lady who works at the school $7 hr to tutor him..so much easier since I dont like English!!!

I wish I could go to our state convention this year but with a one year old in the house I'm going to have to sit it out this year. Plus, I'm too much of an impulse buyer when I'm at that thing! Do you take your DH so you don't buy too much?
wink.png
Have you ever used Apologia for science? My ds is doing General Science (we're stretching it out over 2 years) and I bought the experiment kit so we'd have everything on hand to do the experiments. Well worth the money to do that, IMO! Let me know what you wind up using.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered one BJU online subject per kid, to see how we like it. It is so EXPENSIVE... why does it have to cost so much... nearly $500 for two 1 semester subjects, ugh! Anyway, I ordered it through a consultant and was able to get free shipping, so that helped a little. My dd's Teaching Textbook set came in yesterday. It feels a bit like Christmas when the new books start coming in. If only it was as much fun when the kids actually started using them.
tongue.png

In the fall, we will begin our 3rd year of homeschooling. I have an 8th grader, a 5th grader, a 4th grader and a toddler.

Since I pulled my kids out of public school, life has been so much better! We love homeschooling and could never go back to the grind of the "school routine." This year we planted a garden and bought chickens. It's been great for our education... mine included! lol

We belong to a local group for homeschooling families which offers activities like field trips, co-op, teen events, etc. That has been such a blessing! My kids never have to worry about having nothing to do! It's wonderful!

Homeschooling has been a God-send for our family! It's nice to see so many other families here on this board who do it!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom