Homeschool families?

My big problem with homeschooling is so many of the programs are so heavily Christian based. I don't mind some, but I can't find any that aren't scary hyper Christian to me, so it's not what I want to teach my kids.

I have found the same issue. For History I found a program call the Story of the World. It cover the whole world and does not leave any group out, and imo it has a more balanced look at all peoples and their religious traditions.​

Hi fellow homeschoolers!!! I almost don't feel like I can say that yet. ^_^ This past school year was our first year homeschooling. We have a 12 yo, 7 yo, 5 yo twins, one with Autism, and an almost 2 year old. We are seriously looking at Classical Conversations. Does anyone have any experience with it? I still can't decide if I can drop that much money on something that I don't know enough about yet. Apparently the signup deadline is July 20?

Quote:
My family (3 younger siblings) did Classical Conversations for a few years. I have been a part of our CC community here in VT as well. I ran the nursery program for a couple years and this coming year I will be a tutor for the youngest age group. Our experience with CC has been good overall. If you are interested in classical education it is a great place to start.

Quote:
Indianas current regulations are you have to keep a record of the days attended and they have to be the same as public schools. My mom and I have homeschooled my daughter for 3 years now. K-2nd. At the begining of June she starts 3rd grade. We homeschool all year round and give breaks whenever we want throughout the year. Indiana does not currently require any paperwork. This will prob. change since people have been abusing it. I would recommend joining HSLDA if you do start homeschooling.

I havent joined HSLDA; we havent had the need to.

IL is one of the most laxe when it comes to requirements; there are only a handful of states like that...

once in HS we just have to keep records and a gradebook lol...

right now; we just do:

Math (LOOOVE teaching textbooks! computer based!)
Mystery of History (Christian based historical education; but has science-facts mixed in love it!..such as dinosaurs etc)
Linking blocks for English (we pay $7 hr for a tutor..<3 that..I despise english)
spelling is intertwined with everything/everyday...
reading is just whenever..mostly it is books such as ripleys believe it or not etc...

science intermixed when we do it..

we only do those few things because we were trying to get his self esteem and his self worth in his eyes up to normal ...
been a long road..but we're doing it!

Quote:
I mentioned it for chicks4kids because there have been schools and social wokers crossing the line in IN. My sister caved in when they came after her even though they (state worker) were in the wrong. She almost had her kids taken away and then they were in the system for 6 months. They came in and said she never registered with the state to get certified to home school and the school was listing her kids as truant.

wow...crossing the line indeed!!

Do you have to register as HS families in IN? We dont here in IL; altho the school gets $ if you do...so they like to pressure you to do so...but we didnt..we also will
NEVER let anyone in/on our property that has anythingi to do w/the school system if they are wanting to do a check..b'cuz once you do..you are completely vulnerable!!

GL to you all!

Quote:
My family (3 younger siblings) did Classical Conversations for a few years. I have been a part of our CC community here in VT as well. I ran the nursery program for a couple years and this coming year I will be a tutor for the youngest age group. Our experience with CC has been good overall. If you are interested in classical education it is a great place to start.

Thank you for your input!
big_smile.png
I love your quote too
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom