Homeschooling - SUPPORT GROUP

I have heard that most high school grads are not ready for college. This is lack of study skills, time ma agreement and difficulty of course work.....all need to be developed for college success.

dunno. My eldest, in his first year, is just at a tiny community college. I don't think he would make it if he were living on his own...but living at home I think he will be fine.

I thought that most community colleges were open enrollment? You just take a test to see what level English and math you need to take.

Well, and have a high school diploma, or GED. Is he not getting one or the other?

@Arielle2 :goodpost:Like Alaskan said, My DD has successfully been doing what they call "dual enrollment enrichment classes" 2 days a week at the CC this past semester. Its not part of Jumpstart & she doesn't need a GED because she's only 16. She also gets to keep & accumulate all of the credits she earns for her future education. She can take whatever classes she wants as long as she takes a placement test (if there is one.) She only took one class this semester to ease her into it. Its a beginning foreign language class that required no prerequisites & no placement tests. She is loving it! She didn't want to deal with the nightmarish high school experience & this has been great alternative. There's people in her class between the ages of 15-40+ which has also been a great experience for her. This next semester she will take 2 classes & the semester after that 3 etc... Another bonus was that we didn't have to pay the admission fee's because of the 'dual enrollment' status. We still had to drop a couple hundred bucks on books, student ID & a parking pass (the last two were optional) but no admission fees saved us a huge amount of money. Did I mention that she loves it?

If you scroll back a few pages, you'll see me working thru the mental process of deciding whether to send her to the CC or not, my reluctance to enroll my homeschool with the state, & sound boarding with the others on this site. I want to tell all of you how grateful I am to have you guys here helping & sharing your experiences with me. There's a lot of great groups on BYC & you guys are invaluable!!! :hugs

Dual Enrollment is just that. It allows you child to enroll in College Level BASIC classes (very limited selection is allowed) while still in High School. The college I worked for required a very high GPA to get in. May not be that way for state schools but I would think the admission requirements are higher to ensure the students are able to handle college level classes.

Most colleges both private and public welcome home schoolers.

Yes most new college students are not college ready and require remedial classes to get up to speed. Placement testing may be required but that would be in the admission requirements based on each college.

Thanks for the details. Will contact local cc.

I talked to niece and her husband. They both recommend college courses while in HS. Then as a freshman keep the work load low the first semester while easing into college life. Both are high achievers. One went to Harvard and the other a dentist. Both commented about the adjustments freshman year. I think I have just blocked it out completely .....bad year.

YEAH!! Roomonthebroom, YEAH! LOVE it! So glad to hear you worked through it and decided yes. Glad she is liking it as well.
Some do better at CC than in High school. Taking one class gets their feet wet. I liked that mine got their sciences with labs done at college. Challenging? Yes. Fulfilling? Yes. Sink or swim? YES! Exactly what is sometimes needed! In charge of their work,being on time, paying attention,etc.? Yes! Double Credit for high school and college and able to transfer it? Oh, YES! Very Sweet!
The way I see it is they can take 5 classes all year long or 2 community college classes each semester and 2 year long at home classes which equals out to more credits total. Mine were not limited to certain classes if they meet the prerequisites or the SAT or Accuplacer scores were high enough to qualify them. So for example my son's SAT score was nearly perfect so they put him right into Precalculus instead of dragging him through all the other classes. Meanwhile my Aspie guy is likely going to have to do some of the lower classes because he did not take the SATs and his Accuplacer score is going to be low as math is not his strength. In the end all 4 of mine ended up with 18 or more credits each. Since we were dual enrolled we did not have to pay any admission fees, could roll right over into being a college student and were able to apply for dual enrollment scholarship that paid for half of the tuition every semester and for one of mine a $500 book credit. Because 2 of mine were already there and had a good academic record there we were offered the Board of Trustees 2 year full ride scholarship worth about $8,000. One of mine took it, one of mine didn't. He regrets not taking it to this day. The other one graduated debt free with a 2 year degree and is happily working with families.
Arielle, I think you will find it a good solution. My LD daughter liked the evening classes! Why? Because it removed all the frufru! Evening classes are for mature adults who do not have time for the fluff and extras yet it very much gives the core needed info while condensing it to one 3 hour block of time. It also allowed her to work!Have you considered setting up a job situation/intership to learn skills? Having him work (hopefully for pay) matures them. You can be giving him credit as an internship. So if he is taking 2 CC classes per semester, an internship and one or 2 high school at home classes, I think you will find that he will 1.be very busy and 2. have enough credits for graduating 3. learning life skills like time management,organization and being with mature people that can set a positive example. If you throw in other skills like learning to use a bus or local ride on system and home based skills like how to boil water and cook an egg then he will mature amazingly quickly in one or two years.
Hope this encourages you!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Cc offers nite classes, course work and lab, 5 hours 1 nite a week. Full tuition rate.

Yes. Accu..... placement test required. And likely to take SAT in spring or summer after finishing sophomore math class.

Looking for bio text book and online help...to study for SAT on his own or prep for college level course. His school requires basic level science course, even if an honors level, before taking AP level. And only four science classes allowed.

Talked to head councelor at high school....can attend cc full time as a senior. Only 2-3 students have chosen this route. Students like to hang with friends and I think missing the 4th year of his tech degree would be foolish.

He can get a job now. Around school schedule . And at end of junior year go out on co-op to work thru school in his trade, IT.

I would like to pay less than full tuition for cc classes.
Will see what his SAT and MCAS scores are.

Yup, younger brother is very different from older.lol

Dual enrollment at my school was in the summer only. Did you ask about DUAL Enrollment? There are usually scholarships for those.

No I didn't use the exact word Dual. I explained studying at school and at college.....figured they would be smarter then I am about such things.....maybe not, lol

They are probably not going to volunteer information about special programs. If you want to message me the name of the school I will look and see what I can find online for you.

Back
Top Bottom