Honey bee question.

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Today on Yahoo I see a story from the Washington Post that's titled. "Believe it or not the bees are doing just fine".

Would you care to weigh in? If you have bees what do you have to say about this?

For me? I have a neighbor not far, maybe a mile or just over a mile, who has hives and I did not see as many bees in my yard as I would have expected. I do know there is a small hobby farm next door. Do honey bees travel far if they don't need to? How many acres would be sufficient to feed a hive of honey bees?

I am mindful of old logs in the empty lot and "tuffs" of grass where Bumbles might find a home.

I'm looking forward to reading what folks have to say about these wonderful little creatures, who are important to our food.

Finally I will say I believe some of the problem with commercial bees is the transportation. My doc says when I travel my allergies kick up because I've not become acclimated to the area, like I am here in NYS. Alaska was one place where my allergies kicked up even though I take an allergy medication. SO I wonder if Honey bees might have the same problem.

TTFN,

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom