Hoop houses...

Quote:
I have a gas well on the property. The gas company has an easement to get onto the property, because they use my property and my land they pay me in either royalties or free gas. I choose the free gas, I can use up to 200,000 cu. feet. I think that last year we used less than 30,000 to heat our home, water, and to run the stove. So currently I have a ton of gas that I'm not using.

Quote:
I have a gas well on the property. The gas company has an easement to get onto the property, because they use my property and my land they pay me in either royalties or free gas. I choose the free gas, I can use up to 200,000 cu. feet. I think that last year we used less than 30,000 to heat our home, water, and to run the stove. So currently I have a ton of gas that I'm not using.

That is cool! I'd heat every coop I could!!!!

Quote:
I thought you said you where done raising them in a fixed pen Brunty. LOL Hope you have a lot of bedding. I doubt the manure would break down enough to start plants in this Spring already. It could potentially burn the plants w/out any composting first. I think doing broilers in a HH are going to be just as bad as in a pen in the barn.

You need to find a Winter hobby Jeff. LOL Try bowling.

Quote:
That depends on what you do for manure removal. A friend of mine raises thousands of them for his customers in a hoop shed. He just adds bedding (which he buys by the semi load) as it gets nasty. Then when the birds are processed, he goes in there with his skid loader, throws it in his manure spreader, and applies it to his fields.

If you had to do it by hand.....
barnie.gif

couldn't a hoop house potentialy be used as a tractor, if it had wheels or you used an atv/pickup/real tractor/other hick vehicle. or are they basicaly the same thing, you just don't move the hoop?

Make sure you have adequate ventilation when you use a hoop house, especially in winter. If there is not adequate air exchange you could end up with an indoor rain forest which will not be good for the birds.

We are considering a couple of hoop houses for hay storage but have not yet pulled the trigger on them. We will be talking with suppliers at the winter farm shows.

Jim

We have used a hoop house for many years for 4-H broilers. We got ours the last of June for an Aug. fair. My DH put a soild wood back on it so I could put a window in it and a wood front for a door. We chicken wired the whole thing before we put the cover on it. What we really liked about it was when it got warm, we could lift the bottom flap up along the sides and clip it up and the chickens could see outside and could feel the fresh air blow through. It works great. The meat chickens stayed a lot cooler.

Our hoop house is our tractor. It doesn't have wheels but I or my wife can pull it to the new spot alone.

It is around 8' x 10'. We put hardware cloth around the outside of the coop to protect from predators. It worked great for our cornish X and for turkeys.

Bil

Back
Top Bottom