Hoop houses...

We've been using hoop houses for birds for years now, the only problem we've had with them is they tend to blow over during the very high winds we get here in spring and fall. So we stake them down, and sometimes even tie them to trees! But I love 'em. They're easy for two people to move, and the birds kept in them on grass really thrive. I over winter pens of female bantams in them with no problems at all, if it gets really really cold I might staple some plastic on the front, but not too much as you don't want to trap too much humidity in there, as others have said!

See our hoops and tractors here:

http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/hoophouse.html

Cheers,

Jeff, if you were to plow in the chicken manure fully a few weeks before spring planting I don't think the burning would be a huge issue. The key is to allow a few weeks for the microbiota in the soil to break down the manure.

That said, a consistent till, till, or plow, plow planting method can be hard on the soil, leading to a plowpan that restricts drainage and root growth directly below the point the plow/tiller hits. Can't win for losing!

Ya that would be my plan.... plow it under about april and plant in may... It's all a process which I'm learning. I'm a ways off though on the whole gardening thing.

Back
Top Bottom