Hoop Run

Oatbucket

Chirping
5 Years
May 9, 2014
Great Bend, Kansas
When we brought home our new baby chickens last month, we started looking at the hen house and pen area and decided it needed renovation.

For one, we had torn down the old pen, which wasn't tall enough anyway. In the past, we've always dealt with escaping chickens. They would inevitably fly over at some point and end up as a chew toy in the dog yard, or running loose in the alley and the neighbors' yards.

Completely free range chickens are great...in the country. In town, not so much. People have this tendency to get upset when your chickens tear up their flower beds while searching for the tasty bugs under the soil. I can understand. If the chickens got into my perennial beds, I would be quite irritated.

That always ended with us out there in the middle of the night after the chickens had all settled down well on the roost. We'd juggle a flashlight and a pair of scissors while we plucked hens off the roost and trimmed their flight feathers.

This didn't always work. We found out rather quickly that flight feathers is a relative term. Yes birds need them if they plan to fly high and long. However, they do not need them if all they plan to do is get themselves to the top of the fence so they can flutter down on the other side in the pursuit of trouble.

So the next night would find us out there with flash light and scissors again, this time trimming tail feathers as well.

We soon discovered that determined hens don't need those either.

So as we looked at our old pen space and realized that this time, something had to be different.

I looked at the stack of cattle panels we had leaning up (left over from our goat days) and remembered the hoop shelters we had built for the goats.

Why not hoop a chicken pen? It seemed like a good idea.

We began our endeavor. Thankfully, we've built several hoop shelters in the past, so we have the whole setting up hoops down to an art.

It didn't take us long. Poles pounded into the ground, panels pulled into a U shape and then hooked with bungie cords so they were easier to carry into place. The resulting hoops set between poles and then the bungie removed. A little adjustment once set to line things up and viola, we had the hoops up.

Now, when you buy cattle panels, they are marked at 16 feet long. However, this is not always the case. Apparently the tape measures don't always work at the places that make these things. Some are shorter by almost a full foot. This made our hoops different heights and drove my OCD personality crazy. However, setting the hoops isn't necessarily easy work, so thankfully there are enough other people in my head to overrule the nitpicky one and tell her to just live with it.

After the hoops came the chicken wire. Lots of chicken wire and lots of wire zip ties.

Our arms and hands were scraped and cut by endless chicken wire and my fingers ached from fighting with the zip ties, but we got it done.

We now have our hooped chicken pen that none of the hens can fly out of. No more trying to herd chickens home (they don't herd well), no more trimming feather in the dark, no more squawky, flappy, doggy chew toys, no more neighbors wondering why our chickens are loose again.

No, its nothing special or fancy, but it will do the job of keeping the chickens where they are supposed to be. We plan on expanding it he rest of the way down the fence line as we can.

(pics were taken much earlier this spring)

This is an old thread but very inspiring.
Question: How much bend does a cattle panel need to shed or withstand a heavy snow?

Um, is it okay if I don’t know? When we built ours we each had an few rocks in our hands, we just arched the panels between us and when we liked the height/width ratio we dropped the rocks to mark placement of the posts. Not real scientific, but it worked!

@Blooie I'm glad this thread got resurrected because I think putting putting lattice over the coop is brilliant. I've been puzzling over how to attach plastic sheeting over mine without creating big tears, and I think this is the answer!

It’s still standing, and the vinyl lattice has held up beautifully. It hasn’t needed any repairs or modifications of any kind to handle this:

042073D0-F238-440F-94E8-D786A4904856.jpeg

Blooie shakes hers so the snow slides off, I am not sure if she gets heavy wet snow.. I know she gets a ton of dry snow. Someone in VA or W VA had one collapse from heavy wet snow when they didn't clear it off.
I have a 2x4 ridge that holds up when there is heavy wet snow... as soon as the sun comes out it slides off the clear tarp. mine is 8 wide at the bottom and just over 6' at the top. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mos-cattle-panel-hoop-coops.73385/

We did a hoop run for our coop and we simply could not be more pleased with its appearance and its performance. It's exceeded all of our expectations! We live in town and our setup is easily visible from the street, so we wanted it to look nice as well as be functional. We got 3 panels, arched them and attached them to 4 metal fenceposts on each side (driven deeply into the ground) then covered the panels with chicken wire to deter overhead predators. We also "sewed" hardware cloth to the bottom 2 feet, then extended that out another 2 feet to deter diggers. Worked, too - I guarantee you that our persistent English setter gave up quickly after she broke and bloodied a toenail. We put a little white vinyl lattice fence in front of it to make it look nice, and this winter we put the same lattice over the entire run then covered it in greenhouse plastic. The draped over lattice keeps little pokies (inevitable when attaching chicken wire to the panels) from ripping up the plastic in the wind. It's held up through our wild Wyoming winds and not even an 8 inch snowfall distorted the shape of it. Love it! This spring the plan is keep the draped lattice on the run for shade and then to add one more panel for a little additional length, which will be a snap to accomplish!

Motel Chix

Notice that the run is offset from the coop. Had to do that to allow for a tree Ken did not want to remove. There's also more room for expansion going that direction. We have a three sided tunnel, right there where you see the pop door cover, which serves as a wind break against winds blowing into the coop.

Ken finishing up the winter protection. We like the look of the run completely covered in the white lattice so we're keeping that up.

Standing inside the run looking toward the South. We're so glad we went with the hoop run!

Cryss - Yes, you should be able to hoop cattle panel(s) there. Might have to do individual sections ie: w/i or on top of each chain link pen.

Here's how I did our standing pens. When we moved into this place - it had 4 standing pens in a row. 2 have roofs (flat) - 1 is tin and 1 is just wire; 2 were completely open. This year, I finally hooped the first two - I can use them and I can stand up in the pens (yay!!). The other 2 haven't been done yet - but I have purchased the panels and have plans to purchase more. Like "Blooie", I really haven't measured - everything built on this place when we moved in (besides the manufactured house, carport and steel shop) are different sizes - I think based on what he had, not on what he measured/cut.

When we moved in - you can see the flat roof on the end where the water bottle is sitting on top of it. Don't have a clue how the previous owners fed their birds - bending over to feed/water & collect eggs in those last two roofed pens is MURDER on the back!! Grandkids are a good thing, but even they now have to bend over to do things in those last two pen/coops. They are 7 & 8 yrs of age.

15jan11house881.jpg

Before Hurricane Florence -

180608_192015.jpg 180629_124251.jpg

After Hurricane Florence (not nearly as nice - but then survived the much harsher winds of Hurricane Michael, so I guess OK, LOL)...

180918_142133.jpg 180918_142117.jpg

So what I did - the first one, I did pretty much by myself... I overlapped 2 panels INSIDE the pen. That means that they don't extend all the way to the ground as these pens are more like 10' wide (again - haven't actually measured them). I used haystring to secure them to the 2x4" wire on the pens and to the 2x4's at the top of the pens. The reason the wire is "sloped" above the door is because the panels sit inside the wood framing.

The 2nd pen had a support board (2x4) in it. Not sure if it's really needed for support or not but we decided not to chance it. So we DID measure the height of the 1st pen's panel hoop ABOVE the 2x4 top. Then we strapped the panel down to the 2x4's using haystring again and cut it so that it is the same height as the first one & strapped it down on other side. This is as far as we've gotten. I did have some help with this. Haven't done the last two pens yet, but will have them done before true winter hits in January - then we'll see how it holds up to the snow/ice we get...

The panels are overlapped on the first pen as they wouldn't fit in the pen otherwise. On the 2nd pen, the 2 panels are "stitched" together in the middle using haystring - the two panels span the frame w/o overlapping (each panel is 50" tall, so the pens are 100" from front to back on the 2x4 frames).

You could also span several pens, I think, by over lapping the ends of the panels and tying them together with zipties, rope/haystring or wire. You would want to overlap by a several squares, i would think, to have more strength to hold a snow load. I haven't tried this yet, but on a shed that I'd like to make wider, that is the plan for us to do...

If you look back at my pics - I'm thinking I could have hooped the 1st 2 pens together - just would have needed to put up a divider fence between the two above the original 2x4s to keep the birds separated. May do this with the last two pens - haven't decided yet...

As far as bending them - I do this a lot. As long as you have something to brace it against, it's not hard at all to "walk-up" into a bend. I've put it into a bend in both directions in my truck bed (8'). That freaks out TSC personnel, LOL!!

Last edited:
Very nice! I have some panels I've been eyeballing....

I can't tell from your pic, are the panels adjacent to each other or is there a space between, just bridged with chicken wire? I wonder how feasible it would be to space the panels apart and have just the wire in a smallish gap between, not being too concerned with predators of course.

Very nice! I have some panels I've been eyeballing....

I can't tell from your pic, are the panels adjacent to each other or is there a space between, just bridged with chicken wire? I wonder how feasible it would be to space the panels apart and have just the wire in a smallish gap between, not being too concerned with predators of course.

Ours are adjacent to each other as much as they can be given some of the size differences. Given the differences of the heights, some areas at the top are spanned with chicken wire between the gaps. I think the gaps were no more than a foot or two, it would be fine.

I was looking at doing a complete chicken coop using the panels - never occurred to me that I could do a "run" as well! Duh -
he.gif
. Yes, my neighbors would like it better too if my free range country chickens didn't visit! Combined with a pasture (the ponies don't think the grass is good enough in) fenced in some type of chicken retaining fence, this would work awesome! WE have just under 9 acres, but it's narrow with neighbors on each side and neighbors on the one side extending all the way to the back of our property...

Hmm, I hadn't found that any of the panels I've purchased have been different lengths... Not so far anyway. I believe I've purchased almost 200 panels in the last 3 years - for retaining the shetland ponies that think the neighbors green grass and grapes are better than their pastures and hay! Hot wire wasn't enough - too many broken insulators or fence charge not working. They knew the minute it wasn't working and 6 hi-tensile wires they just squeeze thru. :(

Back
Top Bottom