Hoover's -- crossing my fingers

Here's my Hoover's turkeys. Wish they were a little bigger as a whole but I've learned a lot from them. They're about 11 weeks. The biggest ones around about 14#. Shooting for 15-20# carcass weights. Not the best pictures. Just some I snapped quick this am.

IMG_20191017_115043990.jpg IMG_20191017_115107008.jpg IMG_20191017_115135360.jpg

Anyone have pics of their faverolles from Hoover's? I really want this breed and Hoover's is the closest hatchery to me which I like. But I want big fat ladies light in color like they're supposed to be.

Mine are still youngsters, but I don't think they're very good quality. Almost no beards at all right now. OTOH, the lavender orps are looking nice and fluffy. :)

I can try to remember to take pics tomorrow!

Anyone have pics of their faverolles from Hoover's? I really want this breed and Hoover's is the closest hatchery to me which I like. But I want big fat ladies light in color like they're supposed to be.

Meyer hatchery is closer to you in NJ, but our one SF from Meyer was quite dark, but otherwise looked very good for shape, beard, legs/feet.

we ordered from Sandhill Preservation this spring and got two female SF. They only sell straight run, so we lucked out that both were female! These are lighter than the Meyer ones, but one is lighter than the other. Both have nice beards, and seem to be well shaped. Personality is very chill, no problems at all, and they’ve been laying eggs for a few weeks now (they are 27 weeks old now). But, I’m not sure how light they should be, according to standard.

you can look through NPIP listings per state to see who else may be close to you that sells chickens, possibly SF. They use stock codes in the state documents, which are listed on the left side of the site. There will be a code for SF bantam size, and a different code for SF regular size.

Thanks! I'll check out Meyer as well. A farm by me orders from Hoover's so then I'd only have to buy 4 which is nice but I can also look to see if someone would split an online order. I got other birds from this farm that uses Hoovers and theyre good but the main reason I want SF is because they're so fat and fluffy! I got 3 SF from a local Npip breeder but they all died within a week and I think they also gave my flock MG since I've never had an issue with that until 2 weeks after I brought home those chicks.

Three weeks to go. They weighed 17-18lb yesterday. The most impressive part is 3/4 are super solid! Highly compact and dense bodies. The 4th one is just ok. Same weight as the others but not as much breast around the keel. Right on track for the 15-20# carcass weight I'm shooting for.

IMG_20191026_125444431.jpg

We ordered SF from The Chick Hatchery this past summer. Ordered three pullets and got a bonus, who of course was a cockerel... Also paid extra for sexed blue Ameraucana pullets in the same shipment. They are 4 mo now and We are pleased with all of them, even kept the cockerel SF because he’s so beautiful and sweet. The SF all make the cutest, most unusual little noises. They are really talkers. The pullets are very fluffy and have adorable little puffed out cheeks. One of the SF pullets does have a black beard, and their color might be slightly darker than the SOP. They also aren’t full grown yet, so may continue to change. Overall, I’d highly recommend their SF for pet chickens, though I haven’t gotten eggs yet so don’t know how they will be as layers. I can’t find any recent pics but can take some tomorrow if you like...

We just processed 3 of 4 turkeys from Hoover's today. They weighed 15#7oz, 16#8oz, 16#14oz. I was shooting for 15-20# weights and we made it!

The 4th turkey got a reprieve when our helper bailed on us. We did the 3 largest because we didn't want them getting too large. We'll just grow out the one remaining for another month. Then process it with some roosters.

Here are some pics of the carcasses. I just wanted to update here. Since I've been updating on these guys all along.

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_151113289_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20191123_151113289_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom