Hoover's "Easter Eggers"

I have 2 Hoover Hatchery Americanas bought from a local feed store. (It was 2020, chicks were selling out in hours and I didn't know any better...) River has neither a muff nor beard and lays light green eggs. Torchic has both a muff and beard and lays light brown eggs 🤷‍♀️I was disappointed in Torchic's eggs, but she is still my favorite just for her personality🙂.
Hoping yours are girls and lay blue or green eggs 🤞
Thank you! 🤞 You just never know what you're gonna get. 😊

I think I have some of these! I thought they were Olive Eggers, when the crests come out, but they could also be these Grunleger? Unfortunately, I can’t find any information on how to differentiate the two. I even joined the Hoover’s Facebook group to help with identifying….it didn’t.

There was a mixup with my entire order originally. I ordered assorted brown and white layers (hoping for a leghorn). I’m confident I actually received 10 “Colored Egg Production Assortment “ pullets. The yellow banded birds in the pictures are the Olive egger/Grunleger pullets. (Green bands are purebred Legbars I hatched)

6BCEE01B-1080-47A3-A9E3-7DEA072494D3.jpeg 720818C6-73BC-49E8-8B57-ECE77E655736.jpeg

I think I have some of these! I thought they were Olive Eggers, when the crests come out, but they could also be these Grunleger? Unfortunately, I can’t find any information on how to differentiate the two. I even joined the Hoover’s Facebook group to help with identifying….it didn’t.

There was a mixup with my entire order originally. I ordered assorted brown and white layers (hoping for a leghorn). I’m confident I actually received 10 “Colored Egg Production Assortment “ pullets. The yellow banded birds in the pictures are the Olive egger/Grunleger pullets. (Green bands are purebred Legbars I hatched)

View attachment 3230453View attachment 3230454
Wow! The one at the front looks just like my Easter Eggers (grunlegers?)! Little crest on head, coloring, etc. I wrote to Hoover's and the first person to reply to my question told me that I may get either type of Easter egger and you cannot ask specifically for either. The second question I had about the grunleger type was answered by someone who said she had no idea what a grunleger is but doesn't think they have them. :hmm
Geez... I give up. I'm just going to say all of mine are legbar mixes. 😁

Hoover's EE description: Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called , which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The is a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg-laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs.

It sounds like they are selling both the Ameraucana and Legbar based EEs in the same package. You just happened to only get "Grünleger".
I bought a few chicks from TFS who gets the chicks from Hoover Hatchery. See if you have the same EE’s I have 🤪

Attachments

• D07834CA-37B0-4264-BB68-E63214E98508.jpeg
    D07834CA-37B0-4264-BB68-E63214E98508.jpeg
    651 KB · Views: 22
Both my EEs came from TSC. They are healthy, beautiful, and also quite friendly. Both have beards (I like to call them muffs) one of them lays blue eggs. (The other isn’t of laying age yet).
Meet Nala & Trinity. 🥰😇
4A717DBC-51DD-452F-9ABB-A7F24F4E419A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom