Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
how do you use the turmeric and Cinnamon, i like to try the natural way

Just wanted to share that cayenne worked for my tureky as well!!! I plan to add it to their feed as well, to avoid the situation entirely in the future!
I currently already use tumeric and cinnamon to fight coccidiosis and that has worked wonders, so I was confident in the powers of herbs/spices!

Me 2 please.

Last edited:
I mix my own feed, so I actually just add it to my mix. But if you use premade feed, put some feed, cinnamon and tumeric in a small bucket and shake it together. You can also wet it slightly to make sure it sticks. If you see signs of blood in their poop, increase the amount you are using.

I believe firmly that cayenne, chili, and even black pepper combined with garlic and other herbs has cured my turkeys of blackhead. My two toms came down with it new years day. It happened all of a sudden, I woke up one day and they had swollen, black faces, esp around the face and beak area. My RP tom looked like he swallowed marbles and they got stuck half way down his wattle. Their sinus were also swollen and they had difficulty breathing. I thought they had gotten into a fight, but there was no blood and the chickens were fine, and they always wage into the foray when a fight breaks out. Then I saw the bloody, loose, sulfur colored droppings, and I knew it could have only been one thing, the dreaded blackhead! I promptly went to this very website, and read about cayenne, and I already knew about the deworming effects of garlic. So I combined the two in equal portions, about 1/4 cup a piece, in with about 1 lb apiece, brown rice, mixed beans, lentils, peas, instant oats and coarse yellow corn meal. The dried ingredients came out to be 6 1/2 lbs, 14 or so when cooked. I mixed a pinch of salt, 3 TBSP of unfiltered apple cider vinegar, 1/4 C italian herb seasoning, 1/2 tsp Goya ham flavoring in for good measure. It actually tasted pretty good! I served it to them warm, as it was in the teens here in CT over the last week. They LOVED it, I fed it to the chickens as well to rid them of the parasite/protozoa. They've just about finished it, feeding them all about 2 lbs per day. The blackness disappeared by about 80% in the first day, and their condition has markedly approved every day since. Now they are attacking me every given chance like they used to! I always have tetracycline general antibiotic on hand, but I never needed to use it, I only use antibiotics as a last resort. I will be mixing pepper, garlic, and other herbs and spices in with their feed from now on as a prophylactic. I am not encouraging anybody to use my method, I just think it worked well in my circumstance. It is also important to keep the turkeys out of contact with the chicken's droppings. I hose down the patio daily to keep things clean and free of droppings as it is where they like to hang out to avoid the snow. BTW Spices are cheapest in the spanish/asian aisle.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a sinus infection since the symptoms you mention about the head are not blackhead symptoms. Blackhead is a protozoan infestation desease of the liver, the head does not become swollen or turn black. It is not a respiratory desease and it is almost always fatal in turkeys. It is also pretty rare.

Sounds more like a sinus infection since the symptoms you mention about the head are not blackhead symptoms. Blackhead is a protozoan infestation desease of the liver, the head does not become swollen or turn black. It is not a respiratory desease and it is almost always fatal in turkeys. It is also pretty rare.
I agree. Sinus infections are pretty common in my experience until they are a year old for some reason. Some of them just do not like extreme weather changes.

Do sinus infections cause blackening of the face, caruncles, and wattle, and do they cause bloody, sulphur colored, frothy diarrhea? There faces were BLACK, I mean looking completely scabbed over, but there was NO BLOOD anywhere. They looked something like the turkey in the pic, but the coverage was not as extensive; limited to the face, and a few of the caruncles, part of the wattle, and a bit of the snood.

Also, why didn't it spread to the rest of the flock? Chickens are just as susceptible to respiratory/sinus infections as turkeys are, they are run with my turkeys all the time. Also, my coop/run has excellent ventilation, and my turkeys were in the peak of health just prior to the infection. I'm sorry, but it just seems too coincidental that the turkeys showed the symptoms they did, and yet, the chooks they spend every moment with showed absolutely NO signs of distress. Also, it is very wet and muddy here due to the snow, and the turks are in constant contact with a lot of chook droppings...It would seem to me to be perfect conditions for an outbreak of blackhead, if what I have read in every poultry husbandry book is correct. Also, if it were a simple sinus infection, then why did blackhead remedies seem to clear it up? No sir, I have seen avian sinus infections, and they don't look a thing like what I have seen in my turks.

Last edited:
Do sinus infections cause blackening of the face, caruncles, and wattle, and do they cause bloody, sulphur colored, frothy diarrhea? There faces were BLACK, I mean looking completely scabbed over, but there was NO BLOOD anywhere. They looked something like the turkey in the pic, but the coverage was not as extensive; limited to the face, and a few of the caruncles, part of the wattle, and a bit of the snood.

Also, why didn't it spread to the rest of the flock? Chickens are just as susceptible to respiratory/sinus infections as turkeys are, they are run with my turkeys all the time. Also, my coop/run has excellent ventilation, and my turkeys were in the peak of health just prior to the infection. I'm sorry, but it just seems too coincidental that the turkeys showed the symptoms they did, and yet, the chooks they spend every moment with showed absolutely NO signs of distress. Also, it is very wet and muddy here due to the snow, and the turks are in constant contact with a lot of chook droppings...It would seem to me to be perfect conditions for an outbreak of blackhead, if what I have read in every poultry husbandry book is correct. Also, if it were a simple sinus infection, then why did blackhead remedies seem to clear it up? No sir, I have seen avian sinus infections, and they don't look a thing like what I have seen in my turks.
That looks like a picture of a severe case of Fowl Pox. Once again, a black head and scabbing are not symptoms of the desease Black Head . The frothy bloody poo could be caused by numerous things including black head or any number of viral or bacterial infections such as coccidiosis or by parasite infestation. That your turkey's recovered is fantastic but doesn't prove much. I'm sorry, but the more you describe the affliction, the less it sounds like black head

That looks like a picture of a severe case of Fowl Pox. Once again, a black head and scabbing are not symptoms of the desease Black Head . The frothy bloody poo could be caused by numerous things including black head or any number of viral or bacterial infections such as coccidiosis or by parasite infestation. That your turkey's recovered is fantastic but doesn't prove much. I'm sorry, but the more you describe the affliction, the less it sounds like black head
Would you still maintain that is nothing more than a simple sinus infection?

Ther's nothing simple about a sinus infection in turkeys. They can run the gamut of severity, coexist with other ailments, and sometimes clear up on their own. There are no simple answers.

I agree, that looks like fowl pox to me too. Unless it's the wet pox type it usually just runs it's course.

The color and consistency of the fecal mater could be because the pox is stressing the immune system and possibly letting something else get out of control. For example, if I recall correctly, coccidia is in the digestive tract normally, but the immune system keeps it under control. While the immune system is fighting pox, the coccidia could be multiplying faster and showing symptoms. Then while the bird is sick, it isn't eating as much (they usually still drink at that point) which could cause watery stools.

Being in contact with chook droppings would only be a problem for turkeys if your chooks have the protozoa to begin with, and the turkeys would need to eat them, not simply be in contact.

I am not saying that your treatment didn't help, it could be helping get the coccidia and other bacteria back under control and allow the immune system to concentrate on the pox virus.

Back
Top Bottom