Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
It is a relatively inexpensive task to collect up fresh droppings and have a vet/vet school perform a fecal float to make a definitive Dx. If either the H.M. protozoan, or vector or other `flagellates' are ID'ed, then it would be best to treat all with Valbazen. Take chook droppings as well. They are the common asymptomatic reservoir (however, they can develop full blown symptoms): http://en.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_C...es/English/AviagenBrief_MaleHealth_June09.pdf Good reference: http://people.upei.ca/sgreenwood/SJG-VPM_122-Protozoa_Parasites-2012.pdf Yellow droppings? A brooding hen can eat a bad egg from her nest and then squirt a yolk colored modern art masterpiece in the run the following morning. Also seen in: Cholera/Typhoid/Erysipelas http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/diseases.html Can HG/M actually cause the head to `turn black'? Usually, this occurs if the disease has resulted in significant deoxygenation of the blood (other reference mentions this results in secondary infections of end-stage disease preceding death). Conditions of every flock are different, and the health of individuals in each flock can result in a wide range of severity (with some diseases). Other cause of `Blackhead'? Sparring injuries: Since Pox was mentioned, I'll relate our recent experience. In late October our 7.5yr. old tom and his two 1yr. old male offspring were spending considerable time sparring (not unusual). A few days later we noticed that the tissue of the heads was swelling with no discoloration whatsoever. The first `scabbing' was observed around the base of the beaks. The swelling became so severe that the oldest tom was completely blind and the two younger ones were very nearly so. Early stage in the two younger toms (they quit fighting and pretty much cooperated in getting to the food and water): (click for larger images): Nearly two weeks later (one of the young toms): The oldest tom developed the wet form (yellow thin swellings in mouth/throat and, though tube fed for three days (couldn't get to food/hard time swallowing), he didn't make it. The younger toms fully recovered. The two hens never showed any sign, the two year old tom and 10 month old jake both had a couple of small scabs on caruncles and none of the chickens were affected. The sparring probably allowed the virus purchase.

I cannot thank you enough for posting about using cayenne pepper, I have chickens and live in a fairly remote place, the closest vet that knows anything about them is 100 miles away. Consequently I do all my own doctoring, occasionally I have had a sick hen with yellow poo, wasting and eventually dieing. I have tried numerous remedies to save them and have never had any success until I came across your posting. I got capsule form cayenne (40,000 heat units each) and put them straight in hen's mouth twice a day...this is the start of the third day and she has gone from sick, huddled down, refusing to eat to clucking, looking around and eating by herself! I am ecstatic as she is one of my favorites. Her recovery has been remarkable!

Are you talking about plain old cayenne pepper like from the spice cabinet? Doesn't it burn their mouths? I want to try this but I want to be sure I'm putting in the right stuff before I do this.

Yep. It's plain old kitchen cayenne pepper. I buy it by the pound in the bulk foods department at the grocery store. I add it to the turkey's food daily and they do just fine. I have week old turkey chicks and have started adding a small amount to their food as well, to get them used to the taste.
It works FABULOUSLY to keep blackheads away and infinitely less expensive and safer than mefications.

I lost 2 turkeys to blackheads before I learned about the cayenne pepper, but learned about the medication option. Since using cayenne pepper, I have lost none.

My birds seem to thoroughly enjoy spicy food. I have read, though I can't remember my sources, that wild turkeys in Central America have been observed eating hot peppers... possibly to worm themselves? I have seen my turkeys grazing on garlic and chives, I've read that garlic is a natural wormer too.

This really work. We swear by it. My turkeys had Blackhead and were near death and it brought them back.

Hi friends i have nine bantams, two barell rock pullets, four brown pullets and tom the white and black dinner turkey which we'll probly never cull. we live in rural nys. have many questions. just saying hi :-D for now...

I really need help here. I'm sure my girls have blackhead. I'm looking on amazon atm for metronidazole or fish zole and can't find what I think I need. Can anyone please help. A link to what it looks like , brand, pic, anything. I plan to go pu the cayanne asap! Thanks so very much for all this help! I'll also get the asv.

:(

I really need help here. I'm sure my girls have blackhead. I'm looking on amazon atm for metronidazole or fish zole and can't find what I think I need. Can anyone please help. A link to what it looks like , brand, pic, anything. I plan to go pu the cayanne asap! Thanks so very much for all this help! I'll also get the asv.

:(

What makes you think that they have blackhead? What are their symptoms?

If you have a good relationship with your "human" doctor, you can get them to write you a prescription for Metronidazole (Flagyl). OR if you have a regular vet that your animals/birds see, you can ask your vet to sell you some. If not, you can ask them to call in a prescription for you to one of the online stores.

You will need to weigh your birds to make sure that they are getting the correct dose whether your bird is a young bird or older/heavier bird.

Images of Metronidazole (Flagyl)
https://www.google.com/search?q=met...foegq2qAae1gNAO&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=782

Metronidazole Suspension (Compounded) Rx (You will need a prescription from your vet.)
http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/...2e3636313230&gclid=CNHBg_7onbcCFa5j7AodJD8AsQ

Fish Zole
http://www.entirelypets.com/fizom2560ta.html

It started with blood in the droppings. I was sure it was cocci as we had it brought onto the property with unknown infected birds about a year ago. The ones effected are hatched here, but were new to the soil. Never outside. Then the poofyness started, like they couldn't stay warm, then lathargic. They just sit there puffed up with their wings dropped. Not much interest in the food and water. They act very depressed. It started with one and now 5. There is also now that tell tale yellow stool, diarrhea. The eyes look empty, like a very sick child. I lost 2, the other effected are inside under heat now. They seem to be starting to feel a pinch better except for 1.

Thanks you so very much for taking the time to link those for me. I'm pretty sure my Dr. wouldn't help me out. :( I'll do what it takes though. I'm determined for these fellas to make it.

I'm going to make the purchase for the fish zole now online, then we will head to town to some other supplies.

Another question please. I'm sorry. Do you think the deep cleans I do weekly are helping at all? I use a garden sprayer and bleach/scrub everything down and spray it all out. I do all of our pens this way. I'm just wondering if the bleach is helpful or not? I did read about the lime and I'll be getting some of that. I rake them out every day, then a weekly deep clean. If that helps describe the situation.

Back
Top Bottom