Hope This Saves A Turkey From Blackhead

Pics
I've bought the bag of red pepper flakes and they gobble them up. Hopefully that is what will work!

Just got in from giving my 2 toms and a hen a cayenne/chili pepper mixed w/ weekend biscuits and milk. I was so shocked an hour ago... I never noticed this weekend. Now I see blackened heads. I'm scared. Are they suffering?
right now I going to the feed store for Metronidazole...I think I have everything BUT that.

I'm so glad BYC "turkey lovers" was here for the 411. Thank You

I'd never actually seen their heads turning black except for the natural blackening around their beaks but did notice them go pale. The tell tail for me was the sluggish, lethargic, depressed and bright sulpher colored poop. And loads of drinking.

Their heads aren't all black... They are patchy black. The mix I gave them is almost gone. The store did not have Metronidazole. I do have Sulfamethazine Sodium 12.5 % What do you think????????

The Metronidazole is for the protozoa which must be treated first and is found, around here at least, in specialty fish stores. Do they have the other characteristics I mentioned?

Hopefully someone else will come along and advise you on the Sulfamethazine.

I thought I noticed the loose poop and a almost dirt color,,, last week. DH went out and said poop is good! Hr thought their heads looked kind of pale. They are not lethargic but are kind of made cause I wouldn't let them out of the coop/run to free range today.

What ARE their symptoms?

Without lethargy and sulfur poop, I'd be reluctant to believe it's blackhead.

If it IS blackhead, then high doses of Grapefruit Seed Extract *may* help. I stumbled across something online a couple of days ago regarding GSE being an antiprotozoan.

frow.gif
Jocasta... Got the Metronidazole (@ fish store) I can't figure out how much to give. It says one capful for every 10 gals. ideas... anyone??????

the dosage should be 50mg per kg of bird weight morning and evening. Therefore, if you have a 10kg bird, you should be giving it 500mg twice a day...

Are you absolutely certain that it's definitely blackhead though?

Back
Top Bottom