Hoping for a happy ending

AlexanderWilson83

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2018
47F439C7-FD58-4319-A523-51D763B67032.jpeg
so myself and my wife purchased 4 hens and 1 cockerel (All bluebells ) 2 hens were 16 weeks as was the cockerel and 2 hens were 8 weeks. The cockerel done his business with a hen, we had 3 eggs and 24 days later 1 hatched. All done by the hen alone. Today we found the baby chick with a nasty wound (she’s 3.5 weeks old) our own fault as we said just allow mum to care for her etc etc. We did have them in a separate hut at night but she was always going back to her original hut. So we left her to it. Tonight we’ve taken baby chick inside and hopefully she gets through the night but I am NOT confident... I stupidly forgot to go down and shut the door last night and I suspect a rat has bitten her.?

Welcome to BYC.

Are you asking what to do about that? I would suggest reposting to the emergencies forum if that's the case.

No idea what got her, but if you are asking for wound care advice, I would rinse the wound with saline/vetricyn until the mess is gone, trim the fuzz around it, coat everything with triple antibiotic ointment, and then spray with Blu-Kote.

She has a pretty good chance—chicks heal quickly, and that wound looks like it's mostly just missing skin. No major blood loss or anything.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom