Hoping these two are hens? And breed thoughts

The two lighter tan ones look like buff Orpington hens the tan/black EE hen then red one rooish what does the red ones tail feathers look like on the tips are the rounder or pointy/scraggly looking? Are they arching downward?

Sexlinking only works for the first generation cross. For red sexlinks, you need a silver base color hen and a red base color rooster. For black sexlinks, you need a barred hen and a non-barred, non-white rooster.
Your chicks are not sexlinked. Neither hen has the required genes.

That's what I read and figured but thought I'd ask....that little red one looks so much like a red star pullet at hatch. Crossing fingers.

It's red because both it's mother and father are mostly red. That's just simple genetics. 

Yeah....I understand that...but look at Red star chicks...IF she could be considered as such (which she cannot) she looks just like a female.I took a look at her wings since she is still young enough and there is a definite stagger in the feathering...but I am also aware that wing sexing doesn't work for all chicks...so I'll wait til they crow or lay.

:( Don't need roosters, hoping that's not the case.  They're at 11 weeks this Friday. 

I would think at 11 weeks any males would be showing larger, pink combs. I have 2 BR pullets that are 13 weeks and they still have small yellow combs..the neighbor has one the same age with a much larger much pinker comb...I can't really tell in the pictures...woukd need close ups of the combs.

Last edited:
I would think at 11 weeks any males would be showing larger, pink combs. I have 2 BR pullets that are 13 weeks and they still have small yellow combs..the neighbor has one the same age with a much larger much pinker comb...I can't really tell in the pictures...woukd need close ups of the combs.
Okay, new pics. Hope this helps. (Ours are very friendly, just not ones to stay still for nice pics, :p)

Back
Top Bottom