hopping onto the perch with the rest of you all

terrilee

Chirping
Jan 26, 2015
California, KY / Northern KY
D.gif
Hi my name is Terri and my husband's name is Kevin. Here's a quick summary of what has brought me to this site.

I was really wanting to get some chickens and put a small coop in my urban backyard in Northern Ky just a year and a half ago. A stroke of luck came my way and a berm home in the country became available that some friends of mine were selling. I sold my house in 30 days (my husband was finally relieved that we were done remodeling and no projects, yeah right) and moved out to the country. January 1, 2014 was our first morning in our new home and even though we are starting over and basically from scratch, I, and now we, have not regretted it for one second. Since the house was a wreck we worked right away on the inside projects (still a long way to go) then the necessary outside projects throughout the summer to get ready for winter this year. We built a wood shed, and have had to do a lot of tree cutting and clearing. We also had to replace the rubber on our dirt roof due to the previous owner not maintaining the area around it and roots in the roof developed leaks. So, we have the rubber replaced and still have to get the dirt back on top to put my garden on.

I'll be checking these forums from time to time as we are gearing up for the hen house. I don't plan on getting a rooster simply because I know how mean they can be and I have a 4 yr old grandson that visits. We also just took on my husbands 15 yr old son to raise during the school season and he is now homeschooling him. The reason for bringing this up is we are going to put him in charge of taking care of the chickens. He has aspergers and is so good with animals that we thought this would be good for him and possibly a business venture for him as well.

Thanks for reading, and sorry the quick summary starting turning into a book!
old.gif

Welcome! Sounds like you certainly have your work cut out for you! Rather than going into a long dissertation here, I'll simply say that my now 9 year old granddaughter lives across the street. She, too, has high functioning autism. But she's been involved with the chickens since day one, and she can completely be in charge of the coop - and the chickens - for days on end when my hubby and I leave town for his statewide activities. I have started a thread for chickens and special needs kids, but it's not real active at the moment. Might be time for some CPR!!

edited to add the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935165/raising-chickens-and-special-needs-kids

Last edited:
Hi :welcome
Glad you could join the flock! Sounds like you are going to very busy! Hope you are able to check out Blooies thread and chat with her. the learning centre is also a great place to stop by has great articles on all aspects of chicken keeping, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

Back
Top Bottom