Horizontal nipple waterer

I try to run one nipple for every 4-6 birds but have stretched it to 8 birds in a pinch while waiting for nipple and was ok. I just think it's better to have more than needed if you can in case one fails. I have heard of ice collecting on the outside of the nipple but haven't had that problem myself but in w Kentucky it rarely gets below zero, maybe twice in the 15 years I've lived here. It could be a different story up north. I just think since heat rises it's better to have your heat source below the nipples.

I wonder if I have buckets with nipples if they would still use a regular waterer too? Because I'm not sure how many nipples I'm going to order right away.. where did you buy yours?

If you have both a nipple bucket and regular waterer, they wii use the regular one more frequently. Why? Because it's easier for them to drink from. The nipple waterer is for us humans, it's more convenient, but well worth it in my book. You can buy them on eBay. I use one nipple per every 5-7 birds.

This is a great thread. I love the idea of the addition of the bird bath heater. I'm looking to use my waterer over our Denver winter and don't want to deal with frozen water!

I am planning on using these as well. Does anyone have any long term experience with these to know whether or not your chickens are getting enough water, especially in hot weather?

Also, how many nipples per bird? Thanks.
smile.png

We always get at least two months (every day) over 100, will usually have many 110+ days in the middle of summer. Enough water is never an issue, and there is never a line at the nipples. The water doesn't cool them down much, a box fan in the shade does though for sure.

A 15 gallon or larger barrel with four nipples will take care of 30 birds with no problem. We always stick a few more in just to make sure that I don't have to wake up at 3:00 AM and wonder if the chickens have enough water.

Our desert climate is quite a bit different than most, but that works for us.

P.S.: Never order "just enough"! Make sure you have plenty of nipples in case one fails, or a 15 lb RIR rooster tries to perch on one and breaks it off....

Thank you AZAustin, I appreciate the info for sure. We very rarely ever have that high of temps... And probably the most chickens we will ever have at one time is 40 or so, so 12 or 15 nipples that I'd planned on ordering should be plenty. I'm going to do a 55 gallon drum in the run along with possibly 1 or 2 5 gallon buckets in the run and one 5 gallon bucket in the coop. So I should be ok.. at least to start out. If I decide to add more buckets I can always order more. :)

The water doesn't cool them down much, a box fan in the shade does though for sure.

I don't know what your set up is like, but I'm planning on using some 2 liter bottles from soft drinks, fill them with water, freeze and drop down in the 5 gallon buckets to cool the water down. I figure it'll work like a charm. I could even freeze a giant ice cube, from a 5 gallon bucket if we have room in one of our deep freezers, to put in the 55 gallon drum.

Last edited:
I don't know what your set up is like, but I'm planning on using some 2 liter bottles from soft drinks, fill them with water, freeze and drop down in the 5 gallon buckets to cool the water down. I figure it'll work like a charm. I could even freeze a giant ice cube, from a 5 gallon bucket if we have room in one of our deep freezers, to put in the 55 gallon drum.

We did that for a season and it just didn't seem to make enough of a difference to the birds to make it worth the effort. Not saying that it won't help, it just didn't work out for us in the past with the 5-15 gallon waterers since I was shuttling water back and forth all summer and couldn't get much, if anything done.

A 55 gallon barrel would keep a lower temp than the smaller ones if kept full. I haven't gone to that size just because I know our well water is high in coliforms and that much water sitting around worries me.

Your plan sounds good! Enjoy the horizontal nipples, it's night and day compared to open waterers.

We did that for a season and it just didn't seem to make enough of a difference to the birds to make it worth the effort.  Not saying that it won't help, it just didn't work out for us in the past with the 5-15 gallon waterers since I was shuttling water back and forth all summer and couldn't get much, if anything done.

A 55 gallon barrel would keep a lower temp than the smaller ones if kept full.  I haven't gone to that size just because I know our well water is high in coliforms and that much water sitting around worries me.

Your plan sounds good!  Enjoy the horizontal nipples, it's night and day compared to open waterers.

Aww, that's a bummer... maybe because your temps are SO high? I figure it'll work well here, at least I hope so. :) You mentioned your well water being high in coliforms.. what does that mean?? I have well water too, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

Yes, exactly. We had a couple of rough weeks last year: highs around 115 and lows around 85. That was a brutal summer!

Kept everyone cool with box fans and misting down the coops and runs. There's shade cloth over everything and when you give it a good wet down, drops the temps 10-15 degrees in just a few minutes. We've lost one bird during the summer in the past years, but I'm pretty sure that was a stuck egg (or whatever you call it).

Coliform bacteria: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coliform_bacteria

Ours are high not because of animals, but of an aging system which has had no maintenance or cleaning in the last decade. If we drink the water for a week or so, you can definitely tell that your insides aren't happy. Chickens could care less, they'd rather I mix up a mud soup with it for them! (which is what happens when the waterers get cleaned)

I wouldn't be too worried about your water if it's been tested somewhat recently and doesn't have any smells or weird taste. It never hurts to have it tested though, definitely gives you peace of mind! Last time I looked, a complete panel test was $200.

Back
Top Bottom