Horizontal Nipple Watering

Well I have questions. Glad to be among experienced chicken folks.

2 of my chicks are older than the rest so they are much bigger. Does that effect the height of a nipple waterer?

And winters here near Buffalo NY are wild. Has anyone had success using nipple waterers in a clod climate? Does light bulb heat suffice? The nipples don't freeze?

Is the barrel on the cement blocks? How high did you install nipple?
I just put in on the ground and installed nipples about 7 inches up. If you want the nipples closer to the bottom of the barrel, you'd have to raise it up so they are at a comfortable height for the birds to use.

Well I have questions. Glad to be among experienced chicken folks.

2 of my chicks are older than the rest so they are much bigger. Does that effect the height of a nipple waterer?

And winters here near Buffalo NY are wild. Has anyone had success using nipple waterers in a clod climate? Does light bulb heat suffice? The nipples don't freeze?
The height will effect how much "dribble" will be on the ground when older birds use the nipples. The babies do best with them at eye level and the bedding stays dry around the drinker. Larger birds may dribble if the nipples are too low so if excess moisture is an issue, it's best to have them up higher so they are at eye level for them. Otherwise they have to turn their heads more to drink and that can cause a bit of water to dribble out of their beaks when they drink.

Because these nipples are spring loaded and not a gravity drip like vertical nipples, they are fantastic for winter applications. I set my bottles/buckets on 40 watt foil bird bath de-icers and never have freezing issues. I don't think a light bulb would really help, though unless you mean one of those tin light bulb heater tins. The heat either has to be in the container or under it.

I have been using large gerbil waterers for my chicks. They are now 3 weeks old and I am trying to get them to use the horizontal nipples. They don't seem to understand they need to peck at them to get the water released. I have tried letting water into the little shelf on the nipple but they just drink the water that is sitting there and don't try to peck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are my chicks too young for the horizontal nipples?

Thanks for any help!! I am new to this and to Backyard Chickens!

I have been using large gerbil waterers for my chicks. They are now 3 weeks old and I am trying to get them to use the horizontal nipples. They don't seem to understand they need to peck at them to get the water released. I have tried letting water into the little shelf on the nipple but they just drink the water that is sitting there and don't try to peck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Are my chicks too young for the horizontal nipples?

Thanks for any help!! I am new to this and to Backyard Chickens!
Have you removed all other water?

Back
Top Bottom