Horizontal nipples--buckets keep cracking

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
I've been using horizontal nipples in 5-gallon buckets for a couple of years I like them a lot, for the most part, but after extended use, the buckets inevitably crack around the nipples. I thought maybe it was because of the rounded wall of the buckets, so I tried a square bucket. Same problem. What am I doing wrong? They work fine for a few months, but then crack and start leaking.

Here are some of my thoughts.
Possibly the buckets that you are using are low quality plastic. Try to purchase different type/kind. The disposable ones will usually be of lesser quality plastic.
Second option may solve situation.
Drill your hole in bucket. When you are about to screw in the nipple, heat up the area with a heat gun, or hair dryer. Not to the point of melting, but to where the plastic is warm and feels like more pliable. This will allow plastic to stretch and form better, rather than be under tension, leading to cracking in time.
Third option if you are up to it. This would require a hands on practice if you are up to it. Practice on the buckets that you are to throw out.
Use a soldering iron to make the hole. While the hole is still quite fresh and hot, screw in the nipple. You would have to do this outdoors in a breeze since the smoke from the melting plastic is not good to breathe. The hole opening would result in a thicker wall.
image_21381.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,, :highfive:

Can you post a picture of the buckets your using?
What size drill bit are you using, to drill the hole?
When you screw the nipples in, are you leaving 2 -3 threads exposed? (Not screwing them all the way in)

I've had 2 for over a year and nothing wrong with them. Ones a gallon pitcher(for the brooder) and the other is a regular bucket from Lowes. I have another 5 gallon bucket that's about 6 months old and no problems.

20170423_140822.jpg 20170422_105015.jpg

I use 11/32" drill bit. I'm wondering if maybe I also screw them in too tight? I usually put waterproof silicone caulk around the hole as I screw in the nipple, too 20180423_164049.jpg 20180423_164112.jpg 20180423_164037.jpg .

Yeah, that second photo makes it look like you are both screwing it in too deep, and probably not using quit a large enough bit. And that is upside down. Haha. The lip should be on the bottom. You see how it is pulling the white bucket material out so much? The red nipple should not deform the white bucket all all. No puckering or pulling of the plastic. The nipples I used had a tapered thread and I just screwed mine in deep enough to make a seal (and also be oriented the right way up and down). If that meant there was a gap between the nipple and the bucket, who cares. As long as it is a watertight seal.

Can you post a picture of the buckets your using?
What size drill bit are you using, to drill the hole?
When you screw the nipples in, are you leaving 2 -3 threads exposed? (Not screwing them all the way in)

I've had 2 for over a year and nothing wrong with them. Ones a gallon pitcher(for the brooder) and the other is a regular bucket from Lowes. I have another 5 gallon bucket that's about 6 months old and no problems.

View attachment 1344420 View attachment 1344423

This is the bucket we're using.
https://www.menards.com/main/mainte...5-c-7112.htm?tid=-5548146770272067571&ipos=11

I can't remember what size drill bit I used for the hole, but it was whatever the instructions said to use. What size did you use. I'm not leaving threads exposed, so that's probably my problem. My bucket looks like Peeps n Bees'.

Here are some of my thoughts.
Possibly the buckets that you are using are low quality plastic. Try to purchase different type/kind. The disposable ones will usually be of lesser quality plastic.
Second option may solve situation.
Drill your hole in bucket. When you are about to screw in the nipple, heat up the area with a heat gun, or hair dryer. Not to the point of melting, but to where the plastic is warm and feels like more pliable. This will allow plastic to stretch and form better, rather than be under tension, leading to cracking in time.
Third option if you are up to it. This would require a hands on practice if you are up to it. Practice on the buckets that you are to throw out.
Use a soldering iron to make the hole. While the hole is still quite fresh and hot, screw in the nipple. You would have to do this outdoors in a breeze since the smoke from the melting plastic is not good to breathe. The hole opening would result in a thicker wall.
image_21381.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,, :highfive:
Warming the plastic (on my next bucket) is an interesting idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom