Horizontal nipples leaking

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I have a Flock Party waterer, the kind with the little red cups that have a yellow stem that functions as a horizontal nipple. It caught more dirt than chicken attention. The open waterers catch even more dirt and bedding. So I swapped the cup nipples with standard HNs that I ordered online. The waterer holds two; I bought four because they were $1 each (more for shipping than the product).

I took the little silicone gaskets off the cup nipples, put them on the HNs, and the HNs seemed water tight. But then I noticed a little puddle under one of the nipples. So, how can I "tighten" it up? Ideas, @aart or anyone? Just in case the bucket itself is toast, what is the tap drill size of those nipples?

TIA!

This one?
Some pics might help here...of bare hole and both cup and nipple showing threads and gasket.

What I do is dry outside off, put it up on a smooth surface with a couple pieces of 2x2's, add water...and watch....to see exactly where it is leaking. I use the top of the dryer and flashlight.

When installing my horizontal nipples onto a 5 gallon bucket I put a bit of silicone on the threads of the nipple before screwing it in. Worked like a charm. I once had the bucket fall over and bang the nipple. That one started leaking. I removed it, reapplied silicone, and reinstalled the nip. Did the trick.
Something like this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Kwi...mium-Kitchen-and-Bath-Sealant-18901/206046677

Yes, that's the one. Pics will have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!
Would be good to know the diameter of the hole and if it's 'clean' with no bumps/hanging pieces of plastic.

Just in case the bucket itself is toast, what is the tap drill size of those nipples?
I used a 11/32 hole for the HN's I had.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/
Might go a bit bigger if vessel has a thicker wall so angle of threads doesn't split the vessel.
I've never actually put a nipple into a 5 gallon bucket type vessel, all of mine have been thin walled vessels.

When installing my horizontal nipples onto a 5 gallon bucket I put a bit of silicone on the threads of the nipple before screwing it in. Worked like a charm. I once had the bucket fall over and bang the nipple. That one started leaking. I removed it, reapplied silicone, and reinstalled the nip. Did the trick.
Something like this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Kwi...mium-Kitchen-and-Bath-Sealant-18901/206046677
That would be better than thread tape, but still no guarantee.
What sized hole did you drill @Tre3hugger ?

That would be better than thread tape, but still no guarantee.
What sized hole did you drill @Tre3hugger ?
Probably should have made a note of that, but I can't remember. :oops:
I remembering eyeing it, then going down a couple sizes and trying each one until I got a nice tight fit...which is what I will have to do again next time, because I didn't make a note of it.:he :cool:

I used a 11/32 hole for the HN's I had.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/
Might go a bit bigger if vessel has a thicker wall so angle of threads doesn't split the vessel.
I've never actually put a nipple into a 5 gallon bucket type vessel, all of mine have been thin walled vessels.

I used an 11/32 drill bit for my HN's, in five gallon buckets and a 14 gallon drum with no problems. I don't put anything on the threads either, just drill and screw the nipples in.
Do not screw the nipples all the way in, leave 2 - 3 threads showing.

Horizontal nipple.jpg

I took out both nipples and cleaned/examined everything. I took the leaker and tried putting it in the other hole. When it's screwed in as much as @blackdog043 suggests above, the nipple is upside down, and it won't turn another 180. I tried starting it 180 different, and nope, doesn't end up right side up then, either.

So I got one of the other two nipples I'd bought. It screws in right side up and so far it is NOT leaking. Why didn't I think of that, right off the bat?? :he:th

Very glad I got 4 when I ordered them. I'm going to hang on to the one that leaked, and if I need it, I'll get some of the silicone, see if that works. I did think to mark it so I can tell which one it is...

Back
Top Bottom