Horse Rescues - Out of the Slaughter Pens

Prairie Fleur

Songster
8 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Ingalls Ks
Recently I've become involved with rescuing horses headed for the hell holes that are the Mexican slaughter yards. Every couple days a truck heads out and the horses that survive the trip without being trampled face an even more horrific death, too awful to go into detail here. Rescue organizations have several days time to get the horses out. Well trained, been there done that geldings, untrained and sometimes neglected horses of many shapes and sizes, pregnant mares with foals at side, yearlings, pedigreed animals, they all go thru the processing plant. Money is always tight. Many people how would like to rescue can't because they just don't have the money. Can you help lessen the travesty of these slaughter yards by adopting? Don't have the space? You can still donate or volunteer at a horse rescue! There's a place for everyone who loves horses and hates to see innocent animals betrayed and suffering. Pm me for more details on how you can help!

It's just a sickening practice. I would still hate it but it would help so much if they died swiftly and painlessly. :( kudos and many thanks to all who have rescued in the past. What's so heartbreaking is that a new truckload of horses comes in every couple days and rescue organizations and individuals only have a couple days to raise the money and get them out. For every horse that gets out there's many more that never had a chance.

I think there's a whole lot of uninformed people out there that don't realize what effects their actions are having. I don't have a problem with breeding if they want the foal themselves or they have a carefully managed breeding program and they take lifetime responsibility for the animals born on their farm. Unfortunately, Many people feel like they're responsible for the animals as long as they own it and have it on their property and if they sell it and someone else sells it to a kill buyer, well, it wasn't their fault. The sad thing is, I know there's people out there who would give an arm to own a horse, figuratively speaking, and give it a fantastic home and never let it go to an auction or kill buyer but they can't afford it. I just rescued Rantles (the name he was given at the kill pens; I plan to change it) and I've dreamed of this for years and years. I didn't know about the kill pens until recently but it's become a passion to help as many as I can whether they stay with me or I find them good homes after micro chipping them. There are so many quality well trained horses that go thru those pens that I can't help but be convinced that many people have no idea what actually happened to their horse after they sold it. Selfishness is always part of the equation too. They aren't willing to keep the animal until they find a good home privately or give it to rescue and they want to recoup some of their money and the auction is the place to do that, they think.. Sadly most of them sell for a song to a kill buyer.

Back
Top Bottom