Hot Chickens !

PHILMAN

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
South Plainfield , NJ
Does anybody do anything for the chickens in this heat ? Up here in New Jersey its getting up to 100 degrees ! they dont seem to be bothered by it they stay under some bushes , but I just wanted to know if I should do something for them .
Thanks Philman

Toss some ice cubes in their water and make sure it's in the shade. Also, hosing down the run where it's shaded might help cool the ground.

I am in NJ as well. My girls are only 9 weeks old, but I tried a fan which they didn't like anywhere near the pen, frozen water bottles, scared of them as well.
hmm.png

I did put ice in their waterer to keep it cool and once we get more shade in the back yard I will let them out if they decide they would like to. My run is fully enclosed with a top so they do have shade, but regardless it is just unbearable out there!
I also just talked to a friend and he said tonight wet the ground in the run and perhaps tomorrow morning it will be cooler for them.
I am also giving them cold watermelon to hopefully help.
Do the best you can, you're not alone. At least they are calling for cooler weather his weekend...
cool.png

It's been up to 97 degrees here in Wisconsin. I lock my Chickens in at night, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a small fan. It has an opening in the handle. I stung a clothes line through the opening and hung it near the ceiling of the coop. It isn't blowing on the birds, but is enough to help circulate the air in the coop. It's helped tremendously. It helps that the coop has both two windows and a vent bar.

Sounds like I'm doing the right thing this AM I watered down the area around the coop where they hang out . I also did that last night for them . I tried to give them some strawberries and they really didnt want it . I do make sure they have water ALWAYS I know they need it .

Ok Thanks everybody !
Philman

roll.png
I know! I have been so worried about my chickens these last two days! I'm at work all day and yesterday I came home and they were panting and dropping their wings! They are all between 9-10 weeks old. I put a big pan of water out today with some big chunks of ice that I froze in it and I put ice in their waterer and last night I gave them ice pops! I'm going to try wetting down the ground tonight - only 93 in Maryland tomorrow! It's like winter again compared to today! Heat index of 106!

Take care all and I kmow that if my girls make it through this, they'll make it through anything!

Frozen spinach, fruit, etc. Lots of shade. Mist them? Cool water. If you don't have too many (ha ha) you can bring them indoors and put them in the basement or garage if it's cooler.

I add frozen water water bottles to the waterer-- course that depends on what kind of waterer you have. I have the 5-gallon bucket kind so it is super simple to do- add frozen water bottle, fill with water, put on bottom, and flip over.

Also make sure they have plenty of shade. In the run I have really tall weeds and I will water down the weeds so it is cooler for them to hang out. Although I wondered why I only had 6 eggs yesterday...today I found a stash of 14 eggs in the weeds...had to throw them out too. boo!

My chickens are refusing to lay in the nest boxes so I am thinking about moving the nest boxes outisde...

also frozen peas help and I even knew a lady that would freeze veggies and fruit inside ice cubes and give those to her chicks...that is a bit overboard if you ask me though.

Back
Top Bottom