Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

I have a horrid time trying to grow peppers. Too cold here. And even if that's not an issue, I have a hard time balancing the nutrients. Often get lots of foliage, few blossoms and fruit. (too much N) And, even if I do get a decent set, the slugs move in. But, stubborn soul that I am, I keep trying.

30C in the box today. The night was slightly colder though.

The one pepper I got to survive last summer did pretty okay, it grew to about a foot and half tall, and had maybe 20 one inch round peppers on it. Too bad they tasted like crap.

I stopped filling the left side of the bin today, now I'm just going to mix it and pour some water every once in a while.

+28C in the bin, I think I have enough straw and poop on the right side to start mixing tomorrow. I think it will heat up pretty quickly with the help of the left side producing heat at the moment too, and together they should drive the heat up to temperatures that hopefully will kill whatever seeds still alive in there.

In bunny news, she seems to like her tractor. We picked up some cement blocks today and I'm going to start on her permanent residence tomorrow.

Aart, yes, but not in this thread.

She's a French Lop x New Zealand Red. Supposedly just shy of 5kg, so about 11 lbs. We haven't weighed her ourselves though.

At our previous house in the mountains we had a French Lop named Marshall, and also his mixed-breed offspring, Son of Marshall. They were just the most mild-mannered, laidback, friendly rabbits I've ever had.
The rabbits shared the chicken pen with the hens and all got along well together. Only problem was that sometimes the ends of Marshall's long ears would get wet when he drank from the water fountain, and in the winter they'd freeze. He ended up with somewhat ragged ears, like he was a street rabbit & had got into fights in the 'hood. I'd keep French Lops again, but I'd use a different method of providing (and heating) water

Yeah, the waterer will be interesting to set up for winter. Either she gets to move in with the chickens or then I'll just have to rig something up.

We broke ground for the permanent bunny housing today. I rescued 6 slightly frozen worms and left them next to the compost. Took them a few minutes to warm up and they disappeared into the resting pile.

Back
Top Bottom