Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

Oh, also, a word of warning. If you do start building a compost, I will be making a lot of suggestions and critiquing your design, with an air of "I know everything about composting". At that point, please keep in mind, that I really don't know everything about composting, and that I've only been doing it for a year.
gig.gif

Yup, Aart, I've got a list too, but that coop is looking raunchy. Thing is I need to start a new pile and haven't figured out where. The garden and current compost pile are sort of up on a ledge with limited space, along with a small compost tumbler. Oh well, it'll fit somewhere.

It is mandatory to document your compost builds in this thread. Or strongly suggested. Or it's a recommendation. Heck, just take some pics.

One build that would be cool to see would be if someone would try making a tumbler composter out of one of those 1000 liter caged plastic water container things. I bet that would be big enough for it to actually work.
Tumbling a cube?!?!?
idunno.gif

It is mandatory to document your compost builds in this thread. Or strongly suggested. Or it's a recommendation. Heck, just take some pics.

One build that would be cool to see would be if someone would try making a tumbler composter out of one of those 1000 liter caged plastic water container things. I bet that would be big enough for it to actually work.
Now then, my Dear Mr. Felix, you do remember that I do the row type of compost? About 6-8 ft wide and 5-6 ft high or so, of mixed 7 horses and about 100 chickens worth of waste.
Scott

Okay, I think we're starting to get some action in the compost again. I still haven't put in the new thermometer, but there was some steam rising from the right side when I turned it a bit this morning.

By the way Scott, you could tell us a bit more about your operation, I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of your garden or coop. What kind of things do you grow? I'm guessing part of your 2 acres is used as pasture for those horses, but you probably find some use for the compost too. And do you sell eggs, or are the 100 birds just for fun?
tongue.png

@vehve Maybe this isn't the place to ask this but how did you put in the links in your signature so that it just says " The hot composting thread " instead of
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-bedding-and-garden-waste/940#post_15135917?

Not Felix here but

Just type out the title you want Then highlight it or drag your curser over the title.

Then click on the icon above that looks like a piece of chain.... or link

a small window will appear then you paste the link to what ever in the URL space provided....

and click on OK the title you typed will turn blue.

I usually further emphasize it by changing the text to bold and underlined. Just to make it pop out.

deb

edited to add the blue text in my signature are done just this way to provide a link to discussions I frequent

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom